Power Supply Move Around

Hey Guys,

I have 3 Rigs (all in Sig) which I am considering doing a bit of a PSU move/swap around and need some advice/suggestions.

My server currently has a Corsair RM550 PSU, which I picked as it has Gold efficiency rating and the server is on 24/7.  It also has a 0RPM fan for when the load is low.

I recently picked up a power meter, and found that most of the time the server draws about 65-75W. 

It rarely goes full load, but even then barely breaks 180W.

My plan here was as follows:

Move the RM550 from the server to my Main Rig. (In Place of the HX750)

Move the HX750 to my second PC and then retire the PC P&C 610W silencer.

Reason for these moves:

The 610W silencer (despite its name :P) is noisy. Does not have 4x PCIe connectors to run the CFX setup. Currently using Molex -> PCIe.

The HX750 in my main Rig does not shut off the smart power strip it is connected to. IT also does not have a 0RPM fan. My new case has the PSU fan facing upwards and a grill on top, so the PSU fan is now the loudest thing I can hear. 

My main rig draws about 290-300W from the wall @ full load. So the 750W is probably more than overkill. 

So what I would like advice on:

1.) Is the RM550 a suitable replacement in my main Rig for the HX750?

2.) What would be the best PSU in terms of Noise and Efficeny for my Server PC? Keeping in my its peak load appears to be sub 200W. 

From what I understand a PSU is most efficent when loaded up a little more?

Thanks!

So long as you aren't overclocking or powering a full WC setup, I think the RM550 would be OK in your main rig. Could be a bit tight, but should work out alright.

There are some SeaSonic models that may work as the server replacement. The SS-350ET, for example. Dropping down to the 300-400W range opens up a lot more server PSUs or Dell/HP desktop replacement models, but those probably won't exactly work in your setup. There are some options, just not that many for that low power.

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and ordered a SeaSonic G360W Gold Rated PSU. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/360w-seasonic-psu-g-360-80-plus-gold-12cm-silent-fan-dc-dc

This should power my server nicely.

Also picked up a CorsairLink to use with the RM550 once it lands in my main rig. :)

Will then keep the PC P & C 610W as a spare unit.

Very frustrated.... the G360 turned up today...and it was DOA. Great! 

Literally have had such rotten luck these past 2 months... have had:

Heat Lamp

Heater

HDD Clone Station

TV Card 

Extension lead

And now this PSU turn up DOA... begining to think I have a death touch.

Not had this many DOA items in my whole life before I think.

Now not sure wether to get another G360 or just take it as a sign and leave everything well alone....

Annoyingly cant seem to locate the cable bag for the RM550, without which of course I cant put it in my PC as I am missing the PCIe cables.

/rant

Will update if I ever get the G360 in working order.