H1Z1 - Zombie Survival Game

WhenKittensATK

Title: H1Z1

Developer: Sony Online Entertainment

Platform: PC and PS4

Engine: Forgelight Engine

Stage of Development: Early Access PC ($20 / $40 packs)

Price: Free to Play (Early Access is purchasable)

What is H1Z1?

It's a zombie survival game, "human murdering simulator." It plays similar to the many survival games already out. You spawn on the edges of the map with with a flare and a bundle of gauze. If you played any zombie survival game you know the rest. You can scavenge for items from the environment, zombies, and/or other people.

What features does H1Z1 have?

Base Building

Cooking

Crafting - Tools and weapons via discovery system

Farming

Loot Crates - Unlockable through random quest item drops

Purchasable Supply Drops - Slow flying cargo plane parachutes a crate of random loot. They are very noticeable and can be heard for quite some distance. Crates can be stolen by other players as well.

Server Options: PvE/PvP, first person only, headshots only, recipe wipe on death, and etc.

Vehicles

Wildlife

--------------------------------

Playing on PvP Server - Romano (I think) under WhenKittensATK

So far they've been good with updating the game. The game very playable despite some bugs such as vehicle driving crazy when off-road and arrows being stuck in the air where a person or zombie died. There aren't any party or group options implemented yet, but the game does have "/loc" command to find  your exact in-game coordinates. Most of the buildings are enterable. Combat still needs to be tweaked but having never ending battles in cities are pretty amazing. My group of 3 entered into one of the big cities and we ended up fighting group after group who kept trying to enter our building. So many goodies were dropped. Dead player bodies also re-animate into zombies after a while and w/e loot they had will be on the zombie at a much lower durability. So I found killing zombies to be a good source of gaining loot vs raiding buildings. However you do need to find food and water, which usually require raiding buildings. Food is very easy to get with many blackberry bushes throughout the map. However water is more of a problem to get. Prepare to be chased and punched to death by totally random and stupid players. Even if you're in a group armed with weapons they will come screaming "friendly" over the VOIP and proceed to chase and punch you haha.

Useful Links: 

H1Z1 Reddit

H1Z1 Dev Tracker

Report hackers (such as teleports/speed hackers)

Crafting List

H1Z1 Map

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I saw that you can combine blackberries and water to make juice which is supposed to be more refreshing than even puro water.

So how long is it supposed be in beta for, any idea?  I'm tempted to jump in there for the $20 admission but I think I could hold out for a more finished and free version too, if that is going to happen.

The launch screen says Early Access Alpha. So I'd say it'll be quite awhile before it goes open beta. They may start giving away free keys later on, but don't think it'll be anytime soon. There are a lot people already playing the game. Seem to run into them quite frequently.

I've been playing for the past few nights, and so far I like it. I played Dayz before I played H1Z1 and even in the first 5 min of playing it just felt like a much better game. Sure it doesn't have as much content as Dayz but the game runs smoother and has a lot less bugs and glitches than Dayz does.

If it did not have purchasable supply drops I would play it. I was actually looking forward to it :(.

Doesn't it kind of ruin a survival game when on your first night you can call in a crate with armor, a shotgun or M4, and food??? From what I read, like 3/4 supply drops have powerful weapons in them even afters devs were adamant that it would not be "pay to win".

If it did not have purchasable supply drops I would play it. I was actually looking forward to it  :glare: .

Doesn't it kind of ruin a survival game when on your first night you can call in a crate with armor, a shotgun or M4, and food??? From what I read, like 3/4 supply drops have powerful weapons in them even afters devs were adamant that it would not be "pay to win".

Yeah, but even though I don't really like it I also don't think it's really that bad.  In Sony's defense, they've been talking about these paid airdrops with weapons since last summer, but now they're taking a lot of flack for it, but just on principal and not so much on real experience I think.

Rust has airdrops.  They are highly contested and are the start of some big fights.  It's not really pay-to-win because, 1st there is no guarantee that you will secure the drop. 2nd there is no telling what will be in the drop, I've heard several have no weapons at all.  And 3rd, you die and loose anything you've collected so far.  Some perks for being a donator to a DayZ server are WAY worse.

I can see the argument regarding them (like calling in a drop on an empty server), and hopefully they can get rid of the monetizing of the drops in the future.  I'd personally rather pay up front and never see any micro-transaction crap ever.  Then maybe earn drops with hours played, or find a way to trigger them in game or something.  

It's a game, and the drops mechanic was a way to try to make it unique I think.  Watched some vids last night and it's looking pretty good.  Seems less glitchy than dayz, no naked dudes like rust, and day1 had cars and guns, dzsa  :glare: .

If it did not have purchasable supply drops I would play it. I was actually looking forward to it :(.

I'm not really bothered by it. If you're good and resourceful you can make due without. An arrow to the face is just as good as a gunshot to the face haha. My friends and I found the random quest drops to be a decent source of loot. We found two so far and both had AR15s and 30-40 rounds of ammo along with other goodies. Even with that we ended up dying by someone hiding and shooting arrows from up on a building. So yeah its not the end all be all if you have a gun.

Dev Post on Reddit:

1) Dramatically widening the radius they come in - it's too small from what we're observing.

2) Making sure the chance for guns is a much lower chance so they are much more rare.

3) Upping the minimum number of people on a server to even allow air drops. It's set at 50 right now and we're going to at least double it. We are serious about these being server events and contested.

4) Making the plane fly even slower.

They are still tweaking everything, but I remember watching this one YouTube video where it fell and everyone swarmed it. I'll see if I can find it. It's like the opening scene of Hunger Games its crazy.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

They are still tweaking everything, but I remember watching this one YouTube video where it fell and everyone swarmed it. I'll see if I can find it. It's like the opening scene of Hunger Games its crazy.

Lol that sounds pretty amazing.  

• 1 month later...

^lol.  

I haven't been playing that much lately.  Game map now feels really small and its just a kos-fest anywhere you go.  The building process is easy but not very rewarding or secure.  I haven't found a working vehicle to date.  Needs more content.