budget upgrade

Fight Game

Hello.  I have the chance to upgrade a few parts (mb, cpu, ram) of my system, although on a budget.  I plan to upgrade the storage to the M.2 (pcie) interface soon, so having that option on the motherboard was important.  I'll be keeping everything else from my old system for now (psu, tower, gpu, etc).  Does anyone see any reason these parts wouldn't work well together, or think I could do better for the price - total is only $270.  I do plan to overclock as far as I can, although only on the stock cooler, atleast for now.  I've been reading that I should be able to get it to 4.6ghz without too much problems so that would be 1ghz more than I currently have.  And also 4 more cores (or 2 if you consider a hyperthreaded program).  This will also get me ddr3 and storage above the limits of sata2.

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479

$105 after rebate

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-8GXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231689

$65

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

$100

Edit: changed my mind and updated my e8400 to a q9550 and 4 more gb of ram.

Edited by Fight Game

I'm not sure it's worth even the $15 more because I've been reading that they overclock to about the same.  Being higher wattage it probably produces more heat, which may limit the overclock potential, especially using the stock cooler.

Edited by Fight Game

ok well after further thought and the fact that my brother also needed an upgrade for a similar system that I have, I upgraded his 2.2ghz to my 3.0ghz (can't OC his board).  I also replaced his broken dvd burner, put in a dedicated video card, and put in another 1gb of ram to total 4gb.  With the dedicated video card, I needed to also throw in a bigger power supply.  I was able to do all this with parts I had laying around, and he gave me $100.

So I bought computer on ebay for $125 that has a moniter, keyboard, and mouse, and tower which I will now be able to build another system to give to my other brother who does not have a pc at all right now.

But from this new system I can take out the Q9550 (quad core, 12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) which is suppose to be a good overclocker, and the 4gb of ddr2 ram.

So basically I was able to trade some old parts that were collecting dust, a little work, and $25 to upgrade to this cpu and 4 more gb of ram to total 8gb.  And 1 brother gets an upgraded system and another gets an entirely new one (to him).

Now I would just like to get a couple new small ssd's to raid (since I don't have sata3, I want to raid) and windows 8+, since I'm still on vista crap! and I think I'll be satistisfied for a bit longer.

Edit: also, I've always assumed that all intel cpu's had HT.  Considering my current core 2 duo don't have it, I think going to these 4 cores will help alot.  It seems that quite a few games are taking advantage of more than 1 core now and I usually have other things going on in the backround.  I can't wait to play evil within with less stutter, I'm about positive that's my issue since my cpu is pegged at 100% while playing it

Edited by Fight Game

Well I've got my new cpu and the 4 more gb of ram installed, and the overclocking on this chip has been easy.  So far I've got it up to 3.7ghz with all 4 ram slots filled.  I've ran the memory test and prime95 torture for a few hours with no troubles.  And most important, the extra 2 cores has helped a ton while playing my latest favorite game.  Thank ivi and warweeny, for the very small investment I had to do to upgrade this rig, I know this was the right decision.  The most demanding things I do on this computer is gaming.  I did a lot of research showing how little difference there is in ddr2 vs dd3 or the speeds within them, and the vast majority of games only require enough cpu to not bottleneck the gpu, and with this cpu, it can't happen at this point.

I found an excellent deal on ebay.  Most people that want these cpu's only search for the cpu, and those chips are going for around $100.  Well I found a dell system (optiplex 960) that contained this chip but since the chip part number wasn't in the description, nobody was bidding on it and I got it for $125.  I got the whole working tower, moniter, keyboard, mouse.  Now I can just install my old chip in that system and my brother will have his late christmas gift!

Edited by Fight Game

Genius! I call that a major win for you. I did a cheap Core2 Quad build for my brother a while back, if they still work they are great little CPU's. Almost impossible to find a good overclocking motherboard for that LGA 775 socket though.

Genius! I call that a major win for you. I did a cheap Core2 Quad build for my brother a while back, if they still work they are great little CPU's. Almost impossible to find a good overclocking motherboard for that LGA 775 socket though.

I beg to differ, any P35/X38/P45/X48 board should OC with little fuss. Now my 975X and 680i/780i boards were POSs and I'll not defend them haha, but my P45 was GOLD