How would you Benchmark a cloud gaming service?

NCC10281982B

For a while not I have been curious about performance differences between services like onelive and running a game locally.

Knowing that there are more factors at play in the cloud situation than system specs & FPS. I'd like some opinions on how a person could go about benchmarking and comparing the two options.

If I where writing a compression article I would ask myself: "why would I spend X#& on hardware + the cost of the game when I can "rent" it? Or vis a visa?

I'm tempted to buy Just Cause 2 (it's the only onlive game I have, waiting for JC3), on steam so I could do an "apples to apples" FPS compression but I am kinda poor right now. Long story.

Thought?

I think the only major factor in cloud gaming is Latency / Ping.  Past that you are getting 1080p video compressed to your screen. It's not bad but It's not going to look as good. If you factor in the cost of a gaming pc. It could be worth it for a services like $30 a month.

Didn't we have this a while ago called OnLive or something?

Okay, so latency is the obvious major factor. The requirements for the service also want a 5Mb/s downstream rate. I know the Onlive client measures this while connecting. But if I wanted to experiment / tesyt that on my own I do not know how to do that. if the net_graph command existed I would obviously use that. 

Thanks. I know of those commands (MCSA) bu tI would want to mesure the metrics ageist the onlive servers (I don't know the IP). Speet test between here and seattle is something like 9ms so I am inclined to thing that my "last mile" is golden :)

Another point is the cost analysis of all this. In the case of JC2, several mods are included as part of the services package. These same mods would have to be purchased from steam

Another thing, this is what the compressed 1080p video looks like. Granted my monitors max res is 1920x1080 I still wonder if local would be better assuming the game allows for modifying MSAA and such.

OnLive 2015-01-06 21-33-07-49.png

OnLive 2015-01-06 21-31-03-49.png

• 1 month later...

I just fired up JC2 via onlive. The game maxes out at 30 FPS. I have seen 50 - 60 as recentally as yesterday. I am also noticing jaggies and what seems to be reduced draw distance. My guess is Server load and or time of day could also be factors.