Calling all Printer Wizards!

ir_cow

I recently got a Epson Stylus 9600 from a co-worker and while it was made in 2004 it basically the same thing as the new ones with a few less unnessary colors. Anyways what I didn't realize is because of it's age Epson doesn't even have windows 7 drivers for it. They say windows 7 will reconize it as a printer and so will win8 but I'm still having some problems.

So far I haven't tried a windows 7 computer directly because my laptop is windows 8 and I can't move the printer :(. Therfore I need to find a way to get windows 8 to print. All that happens is it will tell me it found the device with the correct name but it's not under printers. What is under printers is a "unknown" Hi-speed usb 2.0 device and when I check properties it shows up as the device. The problem is I can't get that unknown printer to show with the rest of even set it as default.

I've read some people managed to edit the .inf drivers file from the 7600 (same series) but i don't know what to add in the code to make it work.

In short, the printer doesn't show up as one in windows 8 but does show up as a device. I need help figuring out how to work it in windows 8. I might have to go to a pawn shop and find a old xp laptop just for this printer. It's becoming a big pain in my butt.

does not show up as a seach printer and my co-worker swears he was using windows 7...

Edit: Found solution, check page 2.

Can you manually install the drivers? (find where they unpack and then look for the MSI setup file and right click and do install) I did that for my ex's laptop when I put her to 8.1 from 7 and her laptop didn't have any official 8.1 drivers for her integrated graphics. Worked out just fine!

Let me/us know how it goes, I kinda found out how to do it while I was in panic mode trying to get her laptop's video to display properly.

I'm getting a infinite loop. After I choose my own drivers and continue it asks me if I want to add printer and than I get a ding and it goes to naming the printer.. It won't add a printer.

I'm tempted to try the Hyper-V which is built into windows 8.1

Let me/us know how it goes, I kinda found out how to do it while I was in panic mode trying to get her laptop's video to display properly.

I'm getting a infinite loop. After I choose my own drivers and continue it asks me if I want to add printer and than I get a ding and it goes to naming the printer.. It won't add a printer.

I'm tempted to try the Hyper-V which is built into windows 8.1

Did you try manually adding the drivers by pointing device manager to their parent folder or going to the subfolder with the raw driver files and then right clicking and installing them yourself?

I was going to suggest a virtual Windows 7 or whatever just for printing, I've seen/heard many people do that as a solution.

yep thats were I'm getting the loop from. I get the inf file and it reads it as the correct pritner but when I select next, all I get a message asking if I want to add it and than I select yes and I just get a ding and back to the last screen. Nothing gets added. Looks like I'll try the VM next.

yep thats were I'm getting the loop from. I get the inf file and it reads it as the correct pritner but when I select next, all I get a message asking if I want to add it and than I select yes and I just get a ding and back to the last screen. Nothing gets added. Looks like I'll try the VM next.

You even tried uninstalling the device (or unknown device) from Device Manager? (even enable the hidden devices and uninstall anything related to it)

It's worth a shot, and then VM if you have to. It'd just be a pain to have to VM every time you wanted to use the printer lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Was worth a shot :-/

I've always had impeccable luck with Windows when no one else has... To your credit I have never used a VM before but still would like to try it one day in cases like this, maybe maybe an XP, 7 and a Linux VM.

ugh just when I think I got it all solved. I found out Hyper-v doesn't support usb drives so I am going to have to burn a disk eveytime I want to put anything on the drive. Anyone have a quick solution to this?

Nvm this is a complete bust. I just need to find a old laptop and use it just for printing. Hyper-V doesn't support usb and the printer is connected via usb. all the programs I looked at to enable usb use the network and fake it as a remote drive. Thats not going to work with the printer. ugh stupid windows 8.