Comcast says faster speeds ready, reboot at will

NCC10281982B

At least you have faster speeds, lol. :P Paying for 3 down, 0.768 up here. Called Comcast a few days ago to look at potential upgrades, and they said that the individuals in my area got a boost in speed, and that my plan should now be 6 down and 1 up. Happy with that, I stopped looking into plan upgrades.

Even over a wired connection directly to the modem, I'm getting roughly 3.7 down and 0.90 up. Winning.

/sarcasm

At least you have faster speeds, lol. :P Paying for 3 down, 0.768 up here. Called Comcast a few days ago to look at potential upgrades, and they said that the individuals in my area got a boost in speed, and that my plan should now be 6 down and 1 up. Happy with that, I stopped looking into plan upgrades.

Even over a wired connection directly to the modem, I'm getting roughly 3.7 down and 0.90 up. Winning.

/sarcasm

What do you pay for that?

We have DSL down the shore and it's 1Mbps at best down, and horrrrrrible. So 3-4 times that should be livable, I had the 25Mbps plan before this and was totally happy...but I stream a lot and have everything wired in my apartment so I could take full use of the download speed of the Blast package

Edited by IVIYTH0S

/sarcasm

What do you pay for that?

We have DSL down the shore and it's 1Mbps at best down, and horrrrrrible. So 3-4 times that should be livable, I had the 25Mbps plan before this and was totally happy...but I stream a lot and have everything wired in my apartment so I could take full use of the download speed of the Blast package

Internet only package, we pay $39.95 per month. In order to go up to 6 down (before the supposed increase in speed for free), we would have been charged $49.95 per month.

The Internet speeds are livable, but when you have no cable and use Netflix, Amazing Prime, Pandora, and YouTube for your multimedia, it doesn't seem all that fast. The issue for my home is that since we have bad cell reception where I live, we use Hangouts for the majority of our phone calls. With Netflix going on at the same time, the calls go in and out. Additionally, If I play an online game, it'll stutter and lag while the wife watches Netflix. Even if I download a file over Steam, Netflix is unusable, unless I cap the Steam download at somethinglike 192Kbps, lol.

Internet only package, we pay $39.95 per month. In order to go up to 6 down (before the supposed increase in speed for free), we would have been charged $49.95 per month.

The Internet speeds are livable, but when you have no cable and use Netflix, Amazing Prime, Pandora, and YouTube for your multimedia, it doesn't seem all that fast. The issue for my home is that since we have bad cell reception where I live, we use Hangouts for the majority of our phone calls. With Netflix going on at the same time, the calls go in and out. Additionally, If I play an online game, it'll stutter and lag while the wife watches Netflix. Even if I download a file over Steam, Netflix is unusable, unless I cap the Steam download at somethinglike 192Kbps, lol.

:( wish I could share my bandwidth with you.

$49.99 gets the 25Mbps plan (with basic cable) and I pay $59.99 for 105Mbps (with slightly enhanced basic cable) but my TV box is unplugged... I'm tempted to just go with the Internet only for $54.99 since I don't use the cable box. They really threw me under the bus (well you may not think so given the crap they give you there but...) because I signed up with them because they had a promotion where my 105Mbps plan was $49.99 but the sale rep's an asshole and signed me up for the 25Mbps plan and then told me Customer Care would take care of it. The problem was, once my internet was finally setup and tested at 25Mbps (30Mbps actual), I complained and since it was September (by 3 effin' days), they wouldn't honor the other promotion because they "couldn't find it" in their system (August only promotion). It's the SOLE reason I chose them over Verizon FiOS (which would have gave me the same TV package, HBO included as well with 50down,50up) for $50/month. Though as bitter as I am, I'd transfer over just out of spite if Verizon didn't bake so many stupid fees into their price, because after taxes and fees their "$50" became like $63 and that's what I pay after taxes and all with comcast for twice the speed (down) so for now I'm their sucker. I check every month in hopes that $49.99 plan will come back though, one day...

Edited by IVIYTH0S

$49.99 gets the 25Mbps plan (with basic cable) and I pay $59.99 for 105Mbps (with slightly enhanced basic cable) but my TV box is unplugged... I'm tempted to just go with the Internet only for $54.99 since I don't use the cable box. They really threw me under the bus (well you may not think so given the crap they give you there but...) because I signed up with them because they had a promotion where my 105Mbps plan was $49.99 but the sale rep's an asshole and signed me up for the 25Mbps plan and then told me Customer Care would take care of it. The problem was, once my internet was finally setup and tested at 25Mbps (30Mbps actual), I complained and since it was September (by 3 effin' days), they wouldn't honor the other promotion because they "couldn't find it" in their system (August only promotion). It's the SOLE reason I chose them over Verizon FiOS (which would have gave me the same TV package, HBO included as well with 50down,50up) for $50/month. Though as bitter as I am, I'd transfer over just out of spite if Verizon didn't bake so many stupid fees into their price, because after taxes and fees their "$50" became like $63 and that's what I pay after taxes and all with comcast for twice the speed (down) so for now I'm their sucker. I check every month in hopes that $49.99 plan will come back though, one day...

Yeah, you pay a pretty good price compared to what they offer here. That is a shame that you were put through so many hoops though, but in the end, you're speed is quite good for the price, even compared with Verizon FiOS which I can't seem to hear enough about (all good things). But yeah, drop that cable. :)

Unfortunately, with living on the post that I do, Comcast is the only provider. Rumor has it that Verizon used to be on post too, but that supposedly ended a few years ago. Story has it that there was a water leak at the demarcation point, and Verizon didn't want to pay the bill to have it fixed. So, Comcast "saved the day" and fixed it, which granted them the contract to provide service to the entire post that I reside on. As such, Comcast has a monopoly over the entire base, and the prices are ridiculous, since if you don't go through them, you don't have access to cable, phone, or Internet services.

I technically live in DC with my zip code, and I'm paying $10 less for Internet compared to what my mother pays for 10 down and 1 up in Ohio. I even used to get 6 down and 1 up back in Texas for $29.99, if I remember correctly. I understand that the area I live in is technically expensive, but when I have coworkers claim that they get 50 down and 50 up, or 75 down and 75 up with Verizon FiOS, within 10 miles from base, for around double the price of my Internet, it makes me envious, lol.

Yeah, you pay a pretty good price compared to what they offer here. That is a shame that you were put through so many hoops though, but in the end, you're speed is quite good for the price, even compared with Verizon FiOS which I can't seem to hear enough about (all good things). But yeah, drop that cable. :)

Unfortunately, with living on the post that I do, Comcast is the only provider. Rumor has it that Verizon used to be on post too, but that supposedly ended a few years ago. Story has it that there was a water leak at the demarcation point, and Verizon didn't want to pay the bill to have it fixed. So, Comcast "saved the day" and fixed it, which granted them the contract to provide service to the entire post that I reside on. As such, Comcast has a monopoly over the entire base, and the prices are ridiculous, since if you don't go through them, you don't have access to cable, phone, or Internet services.

I technically live in DC with my zip code, and I'm paying $10 less for Internet compared to what my mother pays for 10 down and 1 up in Ohio. I even used to get 6 down and 1 up back in Texas for $29.99, if I remember correctly. I understand that the area I live in is technically expensive, but when I have coworkers claim that they get 50 down and 50 up, or 75 down and 75 up with Verizon FiOS, within 10 miles from base, for around double the price of my Internet, it makes me envious, lol.

Actually I looked and your speeds are available here as well for the same prices you're paying if that makes you feel better. I'm guessing you don't have access to the higher plans though?

I'm being tempted by their $39.99 special for 25Mbps internet+basic TV they have going on right now but now that I've tasted speed and it's hard to "go back" even though 30Mbps (actual) is PLENTY....decisions decisions. I wouldn't be getting my best bang for the buck but the savings would be nice. You should PM me your addres and I can check and see if there are any deals I could find ya (it's kind of my specialty)