OCC Poll 11/23/2014

Nyt

With the year coming to an end, I figured we should thinking about all the past games - the great ones, and the not-so-great ones

What is your "Game of the Year" for 2014 ? And what is your "Flop of the Year" for 2014 ?

It would be difficult to list every title that has come out, and I don't want everyone to complain "where's X how could you not consider X as game of the year ?!", so lets just post it in this thread like a normal discussion.

I'll start.

My GOTY for 2014 is Dragon Age Inquisition.

My FOTY for 2014 is Driveclub.

While I think Inquisition is a great game I am not sure I would give it game of the year. I also would say for Flop we have a few better candidates.

Computer Ed's GOTY: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

At the end of the day the best way to judge any game is if you have fun playing and it and I do not think anyone can play Garden Warfare and not smile, it is just to fun to not enjoy. Appropriate for pretty much any age level with graphics that look good but are cartoony enough to make you laugh.

Computer Ed's FOTY: Murdered Soul Suspect

This game offered a chance for a uniqure perspective in a mystery game and while it help a lot of promise all of it was unfullfilled. The neat aspects and unique abilities of being a ghost where never exploited and the game was on rails to the point it was impossible to derail. It was a game that could have been great and instead was just broing.

FOTY Honorable Mention: Alien Isolation

This game has a problem in that it 100% achieved the goal of the games premise. Now that might sound odd but hold on and let me explain. The game setout to recapture the experience that was felt my movie goings to the original Alien movie. The dread at every sound the despair  as you tried to escape and felt cut off and it did this, amazingly. However those aspects, while a great story, are crap for a game. In the end we paid $60 for a digital version of hide and seek. The tension in the game was very well done, but too well done. You where kept at a high tension level for so long it soon became bland and dull. This was a great premise for a movie or book but losuy for game play.

The sad part is of this years releases we seem to have more so so games than truly great ones. Look at Thief which help such hopes for those of us that love the franchise, to have those hopes dashed by a poorly implimented sound system (an unforgivable sin for this game) and a drastic narrowing of the game play area resulted on a very much on the rails gaming experience. Or Lichdom which promised us a chance for our mage to be a bad ass and delivered, but along with being a bad ass he is also boring as the games premise quickly devolves into more of the same with a grind mentality.

On the other side we have Wolfenstien: The New Order, which was actually a solid game. Never capture the essence of the earlier games but still a game worth of play. Civilization Beyond Earth left all of us Alpha Centauri fans a bit dismayed and teh Civ diehards puzzled. The game changed enough from Civ to create confusion for Civ fantacs but stay far enough away fromAlpha Centauri to disappoint those that hoped for it's revival. Still, all in all a good game and worthy of play udner it's own rights.

Just a few thoughts....

So 2014 games only? Don't think I've played any

+1 I've been cleaning house of my game library but I think the newest game I have/played is Tomb Raider 2013...which is admittedly awesome but doesn't meet the criteria lol

Some interesting points. Having played Murdered Soul Suspect and the Thief reboot, I can say that they were fairly disappointing.

Just my personal preference that DriveClub was more of a disappointment to me especially after the year long delay.

Anyone else with any GOTY or FOTY opinions ? Don't be shy.