Need more SATA power, 8(6+2) pin or 2 PSUs?

Hello

I got like 10 hard drives

but my PSU ran out of SATA power pinouts, there were only 4

so I used MOLEX accessory line adapters, and I have ran out of those 2

my PSU is modular, corsar CX430m

But i cannot find a replacement line with more sata pins

_____

however, I do not need a graphic card, so I got the 8-pin free and doing nothing

do they make a daisy chain w/ SATA adapter for this?

also, would it just be cheaper to add a 2nd PSU inside the case? 

not sure if that is possible, how does the motherboard turn a dual PSU on? 

this is just a file NAS

I may just buy some 2TB or 3TB drives next week and consolidate the data

but since, I have the drives thought I might give them some use

i did think about them

but is it safe to run 6 or 8 drives on the same rail?

hard drives dont use alot of power but since there are only 4 sata plugs on that specific liine, I was not sure what is safe to handle.

I know the GPU rail would most certainly be safe.

but I guess the Y splitters are the cheapest alternative, thanx.

edit:

they also have this thing, lol

a 1 to 4 sata option

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PYO2SATA-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416701398&sr=8-1&keywords=sata+power+splitter

i guess that solves it

Edited by potatochobit

There's only one +12V rail and one +5V rail on the power supply anyway so that's not the problem it's whether the cabling on the power supply is up to the task of supplying the necessary current whilst maintaining the voltage.

A typical working (as in a heavy read/write cycle) hard drive needs 8.5W which is split fairly evenly between the +5V and +12V rail at 0.5A each so 10 hard drives need 5A on the +5V and 5A on the +12V rails.

If you can split this load between the 4 way SATA cable using one 2 way adapter (5 HDD's) and the 3 way 4 pin peripheral cable with 1 one way adapter and 2 two way adapters (5 Hdd's) you'll be OK because all the hard drives won't be working heavily at the same time.

If your hard drives are holding important data then I'd personally buy a power supply more suited to the application.

I hope that makes sense.

Personally I've got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Connectors-Stabilizing-CP06/dp/B005DD28XG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1416824017&sr=8-6&keywords=silverstone+sataAnd one of a cheaper Startech version without the capacitors and both work well, hower if you're running higher power draw drives the Silverstone one does work better if they all decide to spin up at once, I have had a few cases where the cheapy one didn't like that.  My solution with it was to mix the drive types it's powering so they are the least bit staggered on power on spin up.  

I actually have enough SATA connectors, but these things makes wire management around drives much easier.

Edited by cchalogamer

hmm capacitors built directly on the line, huh?

that is interesting, first I have seen that in a home PC. 

that could work 

but I think im going to have to reroute all the lines in the computer anyway

so gonna try the sata ones first

Edited by potatochobit