Build for daughter! (gamer girl)

Utmost

Hi all long time <3

Anyhow I bought some hardware from The Egg for an entry lvl gaming rig for my kid so she can stop using mine!  Here's what we got..

Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-DS2 FM2+

AMD A8 6600k

WD Blue 1TB

Kingston 120 GB ssd

G.Skill DDR3 1600 $GB x 1

Logisys CS305BK w/480w PSU

Samsung DVD burner SATA

I know I'm missing KB/Mouse/Monitor/OS and will get those b4 the big day (12/25)  I figure it will be a nice bonding experience to build it with her.  I have a few case fans and some other hardware sitting around as well as a GTX 460 that may or may not work.  Can look into GPU solution down the road.

My question:

Am I missing anything?  I think MOBO will come with some sata cables, and if not I can scrounge some up I think.  I haven't done a full build in awhile so wouldn't mind a few set of eyes looking this over and letting me know if I'm missing anything! 

Cheers!

Utmost

Hi all long time <3

Anyhow I bought some hardware from The Egg for an entry lvl gaming rig for my kid so she can stop using mine!  Here's what we got..

Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-DS2 FM2+

AMD A8 6600k

WD Blue 1TB

Kingston 120 GB ssd

G.Skill DDR3 1600 $GB x 1

Logisys CS305BK w/480w PSU

Samsung DVD burner SATA

I know I'm missing KB/Mouse/Monitor/OS and will get those b4 the big day (12/25)  I figure it will be a nice bonding experience to build it with her.  I have a few case fans and some other hardware sitting around as well as a GTX 460 that may or may not work.  Can look into GPU solution down the road.

My question:

Am I missing anything?  I think MOBO will come with some sata cables, and if not I can scrounge some up I think.  I haven't done a full build in awhile so wouldn't mind a few set of eyes looking this over and letting me know if I'm missing anything! 

Cheers!

Utmost

Basically, if you make a PC, you look at eight things:

Processor

Motherboard

System memory (RAM)

Power supply

Case

Hard drive

Video card

And an optical drive, although this is optional since you can install an OS through a USB stick these days.

Also, $GB RAM ftw lol

That's a $30.00 case with 480W power supply so I'm guessing the power supply ain't very good!

I'd be looking at a minimum of something like the Corsair CX430 or CX500 (depends on graphic card choice) and a case with no power supply.

Drop the SSD if necessary, I'm sure she can wait a little longer to boot.  ;)

Looks like a decent little build, I'd be a little wary of that PSU though, maybe take a look at one of these:

Corsair CX750W for $60 after rebate:

Not sure if it'd be enough but I imagine even this EVGA 400W would probably be better for $15 after rebate:

there also is this Corsair CSM 450W for $30 after rebate

I recently built a APU system for my gf.

A8 - 7600
2133 MHZ ram... You would want the fastest ram you can afford since the on board gpu is using your ram. ( i bought lower speed rams and made a huge mistake!)

While no doubt true, hopefully OP can use the GTX460

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If memory serves me right, that was a bundle deal a day or two ago so not much option to change out parts in it for the price (was pretty cheap if I recall) 

As for the parts, not too bad of a start.  Personally would have went another way with the build if I had a GTX 460 like you do (either AM3+ with an FX or preferably Haswell's low end to give real upgrade options later) but it's hard to do much better for the kind of money Newegg does most of those shell shocker combos for.  

Like others have mentioned, the APUs like the fastest ram you can give them if using the integrated video, but if you do use the GTX 460 that wont matter.  That power supply might not be up to the task of adding in a video card though.  I'm not sure who actually makes it and haven't had one in person from Logisys in a long time.  If they haven't changed though it's really closer to a 300w PSU that if you add EVERYTHING for it to possibly output at different times (not together) and round you MIGHT hit 450w so yeah...I wouldn't hope for much but should run the included parts for awhile.  I would just make plans to upgrade it along with whatever else you do later first thing.

EDIT:

Actually I just did some looking around and per the pic on newegg that PSU is rated according to the lanel @ 330w COMBINED for the 12v/5v/3.3v and that's with a max of 16A on the 12v portion (where a modern PC draws power) so ~200w.  In all honesty it's a steaming pile of poop for a PSU that is likely to be the cause of problems down the road if not out of the box considering we're starting with a 100w (max not actual) CPU.

Edited by cchalogamer