What are your computer hardware gripes?

El_Capitan

CPU's:

• Intel "Ivy/Haswell/Devil's Canyon" K-series CPU TIM/Solder issues. The ability to overclock and lower temps is so much better after delidding and putting proper TIM on these CPU's. Sure, don't do it on non-K series CPU's to save money, because it's not needed. But K-series are specifically for overclocking.

Keyboards:

• When they have different colored keys for WASD. I use EADF instead of WASD, but I don't really care about that. It just looks ugly. That companies are standardizing those keys for gaming and making them a different color really annoys me. I don't care how good of a keyboard it is, I'll not buy a keyboard with those different colored keys. It's fine if they have the same colored keys and send extra keycaps for the WASD keys, but stop standardizing it!
  • The ISO mechanical keyboard layout just kills me. Do people in Europe really need that huge ass <Enter> key? Do they not use the <\> that often?

Computer Cases:

• The height of the top of the case to the motherboard RAM modules don't have enough space for a thin radiator and fans in push/pull. Especially when the case is like 30" tall, and the case was optimally designed for custom watercooling. Come on, has no one thought things through?
  • The height of the bottom of the case from the motherboard to bottom-mounted PSU doesn't have enough airflow room if you put a graphics card at the bottom PCIE slot on the motherboard. Another thing these case designers never think about, especially when the case is 30" tall.
Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1

I see it is that time of the month again :lol:

Don't even get me started on the craziness of choosing Orange as the unofficial official color of a country.   :P

Hey, if i could change it, i would do it in a heartbeat, i mean, pink is obviously the best color for the Netherlands with us being one of the only countries where gay marriage is legal.

I see it is that time of the month again :lol:

Don't even get me started on the craziness of choosing Orange as the unofficial official color of a country.   :P

Hey, if i could change it, i would do it in a heartbeat, i mean, pink is obviously the best color for the Netherlands with us being one of the only countries where gay marriage is legal.

I would support that. Much easier on the eyes.

Top-mounted ON OFF/Reset buttons on a computer case.

If you have a cat (no hate if you don't like cats please) they WILL be drawn to the warmth of your computer. They WILL jump up there if they can and the WILL turn it off and look amused while you try to control your ever growing rage. 

Eventually you will find something the right size and shape to cover the buttons but in doing so you will make the most useful USB ports and headphone jacks unusable. I use a handsome Teal 1955 Swingline Stapler for this.

As annoying as the K series TIM issues are I do enjoy the turn back to the old ways of OCing where we took real risk for real gain compared to the new age "let me just up this multiplier" easy OC.

My new keyboard (Logitech K710+) has the alternate color WASD/arrow keys (actually the LED controls have separate brightness for them too)...yeah never really liked that much either.  BUT I do like $50 for what this keyboard has to offer so I'll live with it.

I actually had to mod my Rosewill Blackhawk case to fit the H100i.  If the motherboard has any VRM heatsinks/etc that sick up much off the board there's no room for fans on that side of the radiator, so I just have them pulling air through and it works rather well.  Funny for a case that boasts 240x140mm radiator support. It's a little tight above the PSU too, but not terrible.  I will say the top external SATA HDD tray makes up for the flaws for my though. OH it has top mount pwr/rest buttons too.  But my dog doesn't press them so...

Honestly not too much really bothers me.  I can see how various designs benefit various uses so I just buy something else if I don't like how something was made (or put it in a vise and whack it with a hammer if it's a 3570K/4770k/4670K/etc :doh: )

Edited by cchalogamer

I use a handsome Teal 1955 Swingline Stapler for this.

For attacking the cat or blocking the buttons? :teehee:

I'm betting both :evilgrin:

It has the correct heft and stability to excel in both areas, with a normal cat at least. 

To bad the hyper intelligent kitty actually likes physical confrontation and has also figured out how to shut off the whole surge protector. He can disconnect the whole house from the internet and give my computer a hard shutdown if he feels like it. He looks at me, lets out a short meow, looks down, and deliberately turns off the power strip!