Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claptrap is supposed to be the weakest character, I'm not surprised you had trouble in some spots. It does suck that it wasn't possible to finish without cheating.

Did you do all the side quests? Blue weapons with Red flavor text from quests/drops are often WAY more powerful than the stats would suggest. I would put most of them above purple or better damage output. 

If I were Jim I would take another crack at it with another character, I hear Wilhelm is especially powerful for solo play and that it is better when played co-op. Plus then you can re-use the legendary weapons you found (assuming you kept them) on your new character while finding more cool gear. 

Good review, I will be picking up 2 copies for the PC for the wife and I when I find them on sale. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

I did use those special weapons as often as I could because, as you correctly stated, they are typically very powerful. Not always though, but that is often dependent on how they work for example, the lightsaber-like beam weapon has great damage, but has very short range.

Even if Claptrap is the weakest character, he should still be well-balanced so solo-play is possible and feels possible. That was not the case here.

Playing with your wife should be awesome.

I did use those special weapons as often as I could because, as you correctly stated, they are typically very powerful. Not always though, but that is often dependent on how they work for example, the lightsaber-like beam weapon has great damage, but has very short range.

Even if Claptrap is the weakest character, he should still be well-balanced so solo-play is possible and feels possible. That was not the case here.

Playing with your wife should be awesome.

Well that is a bummer, I like to play the game solo as well.

It's typical in any RPG for certain classes to be tougher to solo with than others. If no character could solo the game, then yes, that'd be a problem, but I see no problem with one particular character struggling to be soloable.

(and this coming from someone who played solo in both BL and BL2)

Unfortunately Andrew, that first boss fight I mentioned would likely be a struggle for every character, solo, specifically because of the enemies that recover health, and how that interacts with the Fight-for-Your-Life mechanic, ie. successful recovery being highly unlikely. That second boss I mentioned did not feel unsoloable, just badly designed. If it wasn't for the fight stage not resetting, I would have spent the time to solo it. That bug just broke my patience for the effort then and later, with the final boss.

I also soloed BL and BL2 and, personally, I found BL to be best for solo play and BL2 to be mostly good. The only boss fight I can remember being a struggle was Wilhelm, again because of how the FfYL mechanic worked with it. There were not always things to recover off of, or the things that were there had very powerful shields. Eventually I found a shotgun with electrical damage that was not actually that good, but was able to strip shields quite effectively, and that helped a lot.

There were not always things to recover off of, or the things that were there had very powerful shields. Eventually I found a shotgun with electrical damage that was not actually that good, but was able to strip shields quite effectively, and that helped a lot.

And that right there is exactly why it's not about the character, it's about how you use your arsenal. You should always carry an electrical weapon just to deal with shields, just like you should try to carry corrosive or fire, depending on the enemies you're going to face. Willhelm isn't an easy battle, but it's not that difficult if you have the right arsenal - namely an electrical gun to take out his shields and a corrosive gun to deal damage.

Just because you don't happen to be well-equipped for a particular battle in a game with random loot doesn't make it unfair.

PS. If you're relying on FFYL to beat bosses, you're not doing it right

There were not always things to recover off of, or the things that were there had very powerful shields. Eventually I found a shotgun with electrical damage that was not actually that good, but was able to strip shields quite effectively, and that helped a lot.

And that right there is exactly why it's not about the character, it's about how you use your arsenal. You should always carry an electrical weapon just to deal with shields, just like you should try to carry corrosive or fire, depending on the enemies you're going to face. Willhelm isn't an easy battle, but it's not that difficult if you have the right arsenal - namely an electrical gun to take out his shields and a corrosive gun to deal damage.

Just because you don't happen to be well-equipped for a particular battle in a game with random loot doesn't make it unfair.

I actually played through most of the Pre-Sequel using electrical weapons, so shields were not the issue.

No game has random loot. Every drop is controlled by a table of probabilities that the developers have specific control over in order to manipulate the gear any given player may have at any given time. It is obvious they balanced the tables as though one was playing with others, which is unfair to any solo player as they will have less damage potential, less health potential, and the FfYL mechanic punishing them more than multiplayers.

If the game's balance forces you to rely on FfYL to beat bosses and even just clear out normal battle arenas, the developers are not doing something right. Your statement sounds like an attack on me, as though I am not that good at playing these games. Considering I have over double your playtime in BL2 (117 hours to 252) and 110 hours more in BL1 (79 to 189), such a comment would be utterly inappropriate.

If the game's balance forces you to rely on FfYL to beat bosses and even just clear out normal battle arenas, the developers are not doing something right. Your statement sounds like an attack on me, as though I am not that good at playing these games. Considering I have over double your playtime in BL2 (117 hours to 252) and 110 hours more in BL1 (79 to 189), such a comment would be utterly inappropriate.

In Claymeow's defence, you can play a game a lot of hours, but that doesn't have to make you good at it :P

I have seen plenty of players playing games hundreds of hours and still play really bad.