I am up for a HUGE promotion at work.

GabrielT

To start things off I want to say that this is just a personal rant, I just need to blow off some steam. Read it if you want, if you feel like responding I would like some feedback. 

Leading, the position I want would easily double my salary. DOUBLE!

I work at a small gas station in a small town as a cashier and as food prep. The hours are hard and the pay is low, but I really like the people I work with. I have been looking for a better paying job for the reasons everyone looks for a better paying job, money is tight and I like having money. Me me me, blah blah blah. 

Here is the deal, over the last 18 months I have busted my butt and become the most valuable non-management employee, mastering every facet of every job in that little place. I have helped double the sales in the deli as well as improve the whole store in every way. Everyone I work with comes to me for help first, and I feel like they respect me a great deal.

My boss, the general manager is leaving for another job and I am the only one in the company who is applying for her position. Unfortunately for me the position is going to be open to public applicants as well. 

This is concerning, because I am young.

I look older than I am, and am often told I act much older than I even look; but I fearful for the moment of the interview where they ask me my age and I am forced to tell them that I am only 24.

How many people would hand the reigns of an entire store over to a person who can't legally rent a car?

The worst part is I am truly qualified for the position. If I don't get the job I don't know if I could bring myself to stay. 

/Rant

I hate to say it, but if you work in retail you will always be someone b#$* . If you want to get ahead, go to college and get business degee.

Btw good luck! I hope you get the job.

Well, to me, you've got a couple of choices:

1. Keep working at the same place, getting paid the same amount, and probably have it eat you up by working hard and not getting paid what you want from your efforts, or turn into a worker who works just enough not to get fired.

2. Tell the owners that you want the opportunity to manage, and that if you don't get the opportunity, that you will look for another place to work. Give them a timetable, like 6 months, and you'll only take up to only a 50% increase increase in salary during that time. So if you're making $40K a year and the position would pay $80K a year, you would only get $60K a year, until your evaluation period ends. They've got something to gain, same as you, and only lose by saying no. If they don't give you the manager position after that, then at least you've had manager training.

3. As hornybluecow said, take the initiative and start your own business. It looks like you're at a point where you know you can do better and are eager for the challenge. That's the best time to move ahead in life.

I was at the same point in my life 12 years ago (when I was also 24), and said screw it, I'm going to try and just focus on making a lot of money and see where that gets me (I turned down a chance to manage a restaurant as a head cook when I was 18 for $65K a year by having worked there for 2 years because of my work ethic- I decided to go to college, then the U.S. Navy, instead).

So, at 24, I was making $19 an hour, and two years later, I was making $85K a year. Present day, I'm making quite a deal more, but my priorities have changed and my focus isn't money. I'm working strictly 40 hours a week, lots of paid vacation days, good bonuses and benefits, get to work from home a lot, and work one step below upper management (which is what I prefer at this point in my life). Maybe I'll settle in working as upper management and getting paid a lot for dull work, but I'm happy doing what I'm doing now. My previous job I was working near 100 hours a week with no appreciation, mediocre pay, no raises, etc. It nearly killed me.

Point is, you always have to have a backup plan or two, and take a chance. If you miss, you're just at a different place, making the same amount of money, doing the same thing. There are thousands of businesses that want people who can work hard and make their business do better, eventually you'll find one.

Edited by El_Capitan

I hate to say it, but if you work in retail you will always be someone b#$* . If you want to get ahead, go to college and get business degee.

Btw good luck! I hope you get the job.

I disagree! My wife has a career in retail management so someone is always her b#$* lol.

@OP: Legally in the U.S. your age cannot be the deciding factor in whether you get a job or not. An employer cannot discriminate against, age, sex, color, etc so I would not worry about your age going in. Just be confident in the fact that you have done your job well and expect that to make you worthy in the hiring manager's eyes to move up.

Just because they are opening it up to the public for general applications doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the job.  Lots of companies "troll" the available applicant pool when hiring for any position, and some companies even have policies that require multiple people be interviewed for any given job.  I don't personally think your age is an issue, and in fact if you've got the talent, expertise, experience, motivation and ability to do the job then a smart owner or manager is going to capitalize on the fact that you're young and likely able to give them years of return on their investment.

Continue working hard and ace the interview.  If they choose someone else then you'll have to make a decision.  The great thing is that you are still young enough to accomplish lots of things and maybe even find yourself another job or career that you are truly passionate about.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the responses guys, it is really good to get some opinions and positive support. I really don't want to talk about it with too many people I work with, if no one knows I am applying than no one will know if I don't get the job. Like Homer Simpson's decision to work out in secret so no one will know if he fails. 

Bemidji MN (I live there) is a relatively cheap place to live. It is a college town and wages are low compared to other places in MN. My wife and I and doing ok making less than 30K a year combined but this job would allow us to start thinking about a house and maybe a vehicle with under 230,000 miles on it.  

@OP: Legally in the U.S. your age cannot be the deciding factor in whether you get a job or not. An employer cannot discriminate against, age, sex, color, etc so I would not worry about your age going in. Just be confident in the fact that you have done your job well and expect that to make you worthy in the hiring manager's eyes to move up.

Exactly, Age is not a determining factor and its illegal for me to ask when I interview candidates. Do the best you can in the interview. Do not oversell yourself or understate your accomplishments. Its a fine line that is easy to cross.  

Couple things I see, first off in some situations like this, the word of your current manager can speak louder than any one of the people applying for the job from outside. Get him to recommend you for the position to the person(s) in charge of replacing him. He would best know what you are capable of and what you have already done for the company. Secondly, while not letting your co workers know that you are applying for the position you may save yourself some embarrassment if not selected, at the same time, if they have the ability to speak up as well in your favor it would be well worth the risk. That and if you are not selected they sure can be hard on the new person that may get it over you since they likely know how well you would have done the job.

For a back up plan, since you stated that you live in a college town and that you don't make a lot of money, apply to the school in your town! You will likely qualify for grants and not have to play a lot out of pocket if any. While even part time may take you forever to get a degree, the fact that you would be working full time and getting one sometimes says more than already having one, especially if the quality of your work is high and your attitude is good.

Couple things I see, first off in some situations like this, the word of your current manager can speak louder than any one of the people applying for the job from outside. Get him to recommend you for the position to the person(s) in charge of replacing him. He would best know what you are capable of and what you have already done for the company. Secondly, while not letting your co workers know that you are applying for the position you may save yourself some embarrassment if not selected, at the same time, if they have the ability to speak up as well in your favor it would be well worth the risk. That and if you are not selected they sure can be hard on the new person that may get it over you since they likely know how well you would have done the job.

For a back up plan, since you stated that you live in a college town and that you don't make a lot of money, apply to the school in your town! You will likely qualify for grants and not have to play a lot out of pocket if any. While even part time may take you forever to get a degree, the fact that you would be working full time and getting one sometimes says more than already having one, especially if the quality of your work is high and your attitude is good.

I have started telling them I have applied. I'm not sure what the right choice is though. 

I completed a year at a state college. Honestly, I didn't enjoy my time there, it wasn't fun for me. I didn't enjoy high school and I thought that college might be fun, I was wrong. 

It's not the work that bothered me, what I always disliked about school is all the people I was forced to be around. I want to finish but $5500 a year even with the grants I qualified for, it is more than a 1/4 of my current yearly income. I just can't justify it. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

Lots of good wise feed back in this thread. If I had a chance to go back I would of probably went a different route in career paths. Everyone has their own goals in life and what might be good for one person might not be for the other. Do whatever satisfies you.   That being said it is very competitive in my area (Los Angeles) as you have college grads working at McDonald and trying to pay off loans. But in retrospective a degree is a stepping stone to a more comfortable future. 

Most hirees  already know if they want to hire you in the first minutes. If they didn't give you the position the next thing would be to get another job and start high from there.