PC Power and Cooling failure...

When OCZ acquired them I was worried, then when OCZ went under and was bought out I was worried a bit more.

I bought a Silencer Mk. II 950 watt in the summer of 2011 (after the buyout and change of manufacturer the first time).  The PSU was rock solid through multiple Crossfire/Quadfire/SLI rigs but it seems to be dying.

11.7 volts on the +12v rail at idle and 11.3 volts under a ~400 watt load.  Not good for a 1000 watt continuous rated PSU.

I'm starting the RMA process (after calling the new parent company, FirePower Technology, to confirm RMA eligibility) and will update this as things proceed.

So far it's been reasonably quick and I even talked to someone (a girl even!) who spoke perfect English and was able to confirm that my PSU was under warranty in no time with just the serial.

I filled out the RMA request as of about 30 minutes ago, I guess we'll see how long it takes to get things turned around.  They do not have any kind of cross-shipping program which means I may be looking to buy a PSU in the meantime anyway. :(

How long have you had your mk2? I had to RMA my mk1 twice, I think I killed running my overclocked Q9450, 4870x2, an 8800GT, 6 80mm case fans, 120mm ultra kazes on a fan controller at the time but I got it replaced under warranty and it's been peachy since...

Why get a new PSU while you wait, don't you have a temporary other computer to use??

I'm also so curious because I want ti know if they're still worth looking into if my silencer dies out of warranty

So I found a temporary in our stash, it's noisy under load though. :lol:

I've had the Mk. II since 2011, prior to that I had a first generation Silencer 610 that I used for a few years before giving away. It's had my Phenom II + dual 4870X2 setup, my 8120 + dual 4870X2, the 2600K + dual 4870X2, the 2600K + 5970, the 2700K + 770...and now the 2700K + 780. To say its been stressed a few times is an understatement but it was never been pushed beyond it's ratings.

Still no response to my RMA request form though...

How much wattage/current did the bulldozer and two 4870x2s pull?? I feel like that may have been when it may have been damaged.

Mine made a low popping noise and a puff of smoke with the C2Q+4870x+8800GT+other crap, before running a couple more months before completely dying.

Has yours been acting up? (what made you check the 12V rail?)

The BD with the 4870X2s pull about 950 watts from the wall. It's rated at 1000 watts continuous load (and that's output power). Input power would have to have been north of 1200 watts to reach its rated load.

Mine has been a bit funny - long running games would eventually artifact a bit but nothing major. Originally I chalked it down to memory getting hot on the 770. I just got the 780 from El_Capitan so I've been stress testing it a bit - OCCT showed 11.3 volts with the software monitor. I didn't trust it, so I pulled out the DMM.

I know how the ratings are made and efficiency and all that :P, just was curious though since I *believe* that's how mine was dead but I didn't have my kill-a-watt back then to check what it was drawing.

Ahh, well at least you know the sensors for the software were reading right. How has the 780 been? You make me want to atLEAST give OCCT a run on my desktop and if it shows anything similar I'll bust out my meter.

How long is the warranty on them, is it still 7 years like my silencer and mark 3 are?

I just went through my email and it seems like I had RMA'd my SIlencer almost exactly 4 years ago (10/13/10) and bought the unit over 7 years ago (7/14/07)...and it looks like as per my theory of it lasting 3 years, 3 months short of one day, then I'm on borrowed time since it should have died again on the "13th" month of 2013 (meaning January) on the 12th day. :teehee: But interesting our units both had issues at around 3 years.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

They made it very clear that the RMA would not cut my warranty - it's good till mid 2018. I believe the new Mk. III has a 7 year warranty too. I was very surprised when the software readings matched the real DMM readings...that makes this board a first in my experience. :D

The 780 is awesome in terms of performance - I just need to reseat the waterblock with new pads. After a good 30+ minutes of gaming (even at stock) it artifacts just like a bad memory OC. I should have done this before I installed it but I just wanted it up and working. :lol:

Oh nice, I'd hang onto it then since you still have quite some warranty left. Mine's hanging in better now than it was at the first hump of its life *knock on wood*

Glad you like it haha, and yeah I'd rule that out as the issue. I really am considering getting a new card..maybe the 970 but I've spent a lot of money on computer stuff lately and don't feel I deserve it haha. 2560x1600 caused me to have to turn down some settings on Tomb Raider 2013 :( lol

A bump to say I was running the "power supply" test in OCCT and measured 12.5v on the +12V rail so I think I'm good. I'll have to throw my kill-a-watt in there to see what I'm consuming at max tilt.

Also wanted to know your progress!

Sorry about your PSU waco. That is sad to hear. I cant remember how old my Coolermaster silent Gold 1200 is. (4 years according to the Egg) Its still chugging along. seen 3 systems. Pair of 1366 I7 and a 2011 3930k. all overclocked alot. whats even worse is it had no less then 2 480s in them at any given moment. sometimes three. And watercooling... (dear Christ)

I would have expected a PCP+C to last alot longer then that. Hope the rma process is speedy.