is this overclocking ?!

hello guys, almost i don't know anything about overclocking and manual settings.
this is my system :

spec..jpg

and about my RAM, according to below picture when i test my ram with cpu-z and aida64, one of my friends who is really into overclocking...told me that these benchmarks and my settings aren't optimum for 2400 Mhz frequency and they are low. he said i should change timings for better and optimum settings.

http://cld.persiangig.com/preview/8CiHTYw6v5/aaa.jpg

he told me auto setting aren't so good and these settings are better both for ram and performance:

DRAM frequency: 2400Mhz
voltage: 1.65

Timings:

DRAM command rate : 2 -> 1
DRAM ref cycle time : auto -> 200
DRAM refresh interval : auto -> 65535

and in third timings:

tRDRD: auto -> 4
tRDRD_dr: auto -> 5
tRDRD_dd: auto -> 5

tWRWR: auto -> 4
tWRWR_dr: auto -> 5
tWRWR_dd: auto -> 5

+++++++++++++++++++++

and the results shows really better performance:

http://cld.persiangig.com/preview/aPQs1u2kQA/AIDA64.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++

and my questions:

1: have i done an Overclocking to my RAM by these settings ? or just changed the settings to a better and optimum settings ?
( you know, i am really sensitive about my hardwares, i mean i don't want to have them under  pressure ! )

2: can i use this settings 24/7 ? ( 24 hours at 7 days ) without any extra pressure ?

3: do these changes take RAM under extra pressure ? :D

############

thanks before hand...

Welcome to OCC!. Just off the bat, I wrote a quick OCC guide for overclocking a 4770k and the haswell in general. It won't help you in the memory section though.

As for your question, 1) I would say technically any changed to speed up the memory from lowering the timmings or raising the mhz is overclocking. Most people just say raising the frequencey is overclocking, but lowering the timmings can be too.

2) you seemed you are trying changed the timmings from the suggested factory settings to your own OC on it. I would honestly just leave it it at the X.M.P settings as your aren't gaining much. I know T1 command can be very picky at higher speeds and different boards, which is why by default they are generally T2 unless the X.M.P sets it.

3). Well any overclock will stress the product more. G.skill is a good company and generally overall have quailty chips, but they are binned for a certain speed. Usually minor tweaks won't cause any problems, but you never know in the long run. I would boot and run memtest86 and see any errors pop up from the change. If no errors show up, your good to go.

remeber synthetic benchmarks are not equal to real world preformance. On paper, yeah it faster. In reality....maybe 1 fps change depending on your hardware and game.

I define overclocking as pushing hardware past the mfg. stated specifications.  In the case of memory that could be by increasing frequency or tightening timings.  I guess technically that tightening timings might be considered tweaking instead of overclocking though.

Welcome to OCC!. Just off the bat, I wrote a quick OCC guide for overclocking a 4770k and the haswell in general. It won't help you in the memory section though.

As for your question, 1) I would say technically any changed to speed up the memory from lowering the timmings or raising the mhz is overclocking. Most people just say raising the frequencey is overclocking, but lowering the timmings can be too.

2) you seemed you are trying changed the timmings from the suggested factory settings to your own OC on it. I would honestly just leave it it at the X.M.P settings as your aren't gaining much. I know T1 command can be very picky at higher speeds and different boards, which is why by default they are generally T2 unless the X.M.P sets it.

3). Well any overclock will stress the product more. G.skill is a good company and generally overall have quailty chips, but they are binned for a certain speed. Usually minor tweaks won't cause any problems, but you never know in the long run. I would boot and run memtest86 and see any errors pop up from the change. If no errors show up, your good to go.

remeber synthetic benchmarks are not equal to real world preformance. On paper, yeah it faster. In reality....maybe 1 fps change depending on your hardware and game.

thanks a lot my friend, no i know how to set x.m.p and i had x.m.p until my friend told me his settings are better both for ram and performance ( for ram, i mean a lower pressure to ram !!! )

does it make sense that rams on auto values work with more pressure than manually timings ?! as my friend said !!!!

and my main question is: i am NOT into overclocking, i just want to have enough performance in games ! do this new settings ( my friend ones ) have immense difference in compare to default x.m.p ?

and which one do you suggest for a person like me and for a lower pressure on ram and entire system ?

and also this is my ram stability test under 2400mhz and manually settings as i said:

hy1.jpg

hy2.jpg

thanks in advance...

I'm trying to decrypt what your saying lol

I sounds like your under the impression that it's better to set all the settings to manual over the auto. Well that can be true sometimes, I can't say what the "auto" settings where before you changed it, since the motherboard set it. So it makes the argument null as your friend could be right, but usually auto is more relaxed from my experience. The thing is, you are changing the sub settings that are very dependent on each motherboard and cpu (it has the memory controller). The Asus Maximus VI extremely high quality and very good at the auto settings. At the same time, I'm not surprised your changes hasn't crashed the system. 

Once again, Remember synthetic benchmarks are not equal to real world performance. Someone on these forums posted a while ago game benchmarks showing like 2 fps difference between 1600 and 2800 speeds. Both tightening the timings and raising the speeds will gain some performance.

It seems like it passes SuperPi but that doesn't show stability. I would run Memtest86 at the speeds and timings you want. If it passes, than run Prim95 for a while and than stability is almost a given.

I'm trying to decrypt what your saying lol

I sounds like your under the impression that it's better to set all the settings to manual over the auto. Well that can be true sometimes, I can't say what the "auto" settings where before you changed it, since the motherboard set it. So it makes the argument null as your friend could be right, but usually auto is more relaxed from my experience. The thing is, you are changing the sub settings that are very dependent on each motherboard and cpu (it has the memory controller). The Asus Maximus VI extremely high quality and very good at the auto settings. At the same time, I'm not surprised your changes hasn't crashed the system. 

Once again, Remember synthetic benchmarks are not equal to real world performance. Someone on these forums posted a while ago game benchmarks showing like 2 fps difference between 1600 and 2800 speeds. Both tightening the timings and raising the speeds will gain some performance.

It seems like it passes SuperPi but that doesn't show stability. I would run Memtest86 at the speeds and timings you want. If it passes, than run Prim95 for a while and than stability is almost a given.

hello, thanks for your suggestions.

i made my decision to leave it more relaxed by setting it on x.m.p.

but my x.m.p is a kind of weird ! it has 2 profiles,#1 at 2401mhz, and #2 at 2399Mhz

to my knowledge is should have 2133 also instead of 2399 ?!

if not, which one should i pick ?! and if i set x.m.p, will it be enough ?

thanks again...

Edited by knightiran

I'd set either of the XMP profiles and forget about it if it runs stable (24 hours of Prime95 will generally prove that). Tweaking memory is rarely worthwhile in normal use.

I don't have the answer to your new questions, maybe someone else can chime in.

What do you mean "will it be enough" ? Like fast enough, or the right settings?

no, i mean should i set x.m.p and leave other settings auto ? or chose manually and set frequency 2400 and main timings at : 10 - 12 - 12 - 31 based on my ram kit.

?

I'm with Waco on this one. Just leave it at either X.M.P profile and call it good. whatever settings you changed from auto isn't going to show a difference in games for the most part. Tweaking the Ram isn't as noticeable as cracking up the cpu these days.

The XMP profiles should set your four primary timings, command rate, frequency and dram voltage (it may also set your IMC voltage).

At any rate, any of the settings in either of the XMP profiles are adequate for 99.9% of all users.  There isn't anything to be gained by messing with the secondary or third level memory timings, and in fact you'll likely screw something up if you do.

After the XMP settings, the only other thing you might consider changing is the command rate.  Most XMP settings will set the command rate to 2T, however in many cases you can safely set the command rate to 1T.

SuperPi isn't great for determining memory stability.  As mentioned above, set one of the two XMP profiles and then run Memtest86 for 8 hours or overnight.