Fed up with P6TD Deluxe

So I'm really gettin' peeved with my ASUS P6TD Deluxe and its dislike of my three sticks of 4GB sticks of Patriot 1600mhz memory. I recently took one and moved it to my new HTPC system since my desktop would only register 8GB of the 12GB anyway...

I also cannot run the sticks in dual channel, it either won't start or it will run and only have 4GB usable (how I'm running now). The other case is if I run them in single channel than it MAY run with 8GB but then I might get a spontaneous system freeze and then the system just runs the fans until I shut it down and shuffle around my RAM sticks...it's getting pretty damn frustrating though.

Back when I had three 2GB sticks of OCZ memory it ran perfect, and then I threw in the patriots along side them and it would dance between 16GB and 18GB so I figured that's already a lot of memory (and I figured I wouldn't add the stress of 3 extra sticks on the memory controller) so I just sold off the OCZ and then was maybe able to run the 12GB remaining as 12GB maybe once or twice but most of the time it would just run as 8GB...

Idk what to do, I can only assume the memory is just not very well compatible with my board (there's only ONE kit on the Qualifed Memory Vendor List that is a 12GB, 3x4GB kit...so maybe it can't handle any 12GB kit well) but I know the sticks are ok and I even turned off my CPU's overclock for the time being. I'm so tempted to get cross the "bridge" and get either a sandy, ivy or maybe even a haswell system because I've just about had it with this system's games...

I guess it COULD be the memory controller in the CPU going bad, but how can one even test that, I'd want to know if my parts are safe to sell when/if I upgrade to another platform...though given what I've looked into, I strongly believe it's just this stupid motherboard's problem and nothing damaged.

Thoughts guys? Thanks in advance!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely you will need to run 3X2GB for stability @ 1600MHz,.. you could try 3X4GB @ 1333MHs or 1066MHz.

with your memory controller running 2GB modules 1333MHz @ voltage/timings listed on module in 3X2 or 6X2,..  is best configuration for stability regardless of voltage applied.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Braegnok

If you want to borrow a XEON E5520 to test with the P6T Deluxe, let me know.

Remember, you want to keep the CPU Voltage within 0.5V's of the Memory Voltage. So if your Memory Voltage is 1.65V's, you want to have your CPU Voltage at least 1.15V's.

Thanks guys I'll post my current settings when I get home and maybe bump the IMC voltage some and then go from there (I've already been bad and bargain hunting for a replacement :teehee:)

And Cap, I'll let you know on the Xeon...I may take you up on that for testing purposes... I think we've spoke on it before (I made a thread like this a while ago)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

No problem. The XEON is just sitting around. I'd probably at the most get $30 for it, but it's much better served as a backup CPU for 3 people I know still running x58 motherboards (and I still have 3 systems with x58's still).

No problem. The XEON is just sitting around. I'd probably at the most get $30 for it, but it's much better served as a backup CPU for 3 people I know still running x58 motherboards (and I still have 3 systems with x58's still).

Gotcha, I'll letcha know!

I had this same issue with an EVGA board when trying to run 6, 2 gig sticks. Never did figure out why but had heard it was an issue with the memory controllers on the chip. I switched it to three four gig sticks of lower voltage memory and haven't had an issue since.

Ya try Franks suggestion. When I had that same board I was having similar issues and all it needed was more voltage to the memory. Ripped my hair out for two weeks trying to nail down the problem lol

Some things to try:

1. Set PLL Voltage to 1.8V. 1.9V seems too much, 1.8 should be fine.

2. Set ICH Voltage to 1.10V. I don't know why you'd need 1.30V.

3. Set your QPI Link Data Rate to the lowest if it's not.

4. CPU Ratio of 21 and BCLK to 180. This will set your RAM to 1443MHz. Keep your timings the same. Set your UCLK Frequency to 2887MHz.