stuck at 4.6 ghz i74930k

Bittbull187

hello all , been having a heck of a time getting my rig past 4.6. im at 1.352v idle and around 68 load. anyone have alot of experience with these chips? i understand the these chips dont really oc well but i can try right. In any case here are my specs:

[email protected] cooled with xspc 480 in push pull with xspc raystorm special edition block

ram -32gb corsair dominator platnium 2133mhz

video-tri sli gtx 780 classifieds at 1280/3305mhz cooled with ek full cover blocks, xspc 480 in push pull

sound-creative zx fatility

psu-nex 1500 classified

ssd-3x240gb corsair neutron gtx two 2tb wd back ups

temps at load barely ever get above 68 even at load, but i noticed that during intense benching my voltage spikes to around 1.41, o i also do not have vdroop enabled.post-136291-0-36592300-1411813219_thumb.png

You deff are right im not really expecting much out of it, just trying to maybe hit 4.7 with lower voltage than 1.45. Motherboard x79 dark ,

I'd rather go for a low voltage and 4.0GHz than 4.7GHz on 1.4v.

The difference is negligible at best, and is not noticeable in games unless you play an mmorpg with 100+ characters on screen, then you may see a difference of 5fps~ if even that.

I know e-peen plays a role in this, but with that processor, it is really not needed to overclock further than 4.0Ghz if you ask me.

You should take into consideration of the lifespan of the processor as well.

Higher voltages and overclocks *usually* takes a toll on the processor, no matter how good it is cooled.

The difference is negligible at best, and is not noticeable in games unless you play an mmorpg with 100+ characters on screen, then you may see a difference of 5fps~ if even that.

Then you may as well not overclock  :teehee:

You deff are right im not really expecting much out of it, just trying to maybe hit 4.7 with lower voltage than 1.45. Motherboard x79 dark ,

I know e-peen plays a role in this, but with that processor, it is really not needed to overclock further than 4.0Ghz if you ask me.

In gaming, the extra 2 cores don't actually do much.

A 4 core i7 @ 4.5GHz would be faster in most games than a 4.0GHz 6 core i7 since most games struggle to use 4 cores and 8 threads let alone 6 cores and 12 threads.

You should take into consideration of the lifespan of the processor as well.

Higher voltages and overclocks *usually* takes a toll on the processor, no matter how good it is cooled.

I agree, you should not be looking at 1.4v+ on the vcore, especially on 22nm.

I know 1.45v was safe on Sandy Bridge 32 nm but with 22nm you should aim for below 1.4v.

I would personally be happy with 4.6GHz at 1.352v, considering these 22 nm Ivy Bridge E's hit an OC ceiling quite quickly :)

Then you may as well not overclock  :teehee:

Well, it is always at 4.0GHz rather than fluctuating between 3.4 and 3.9GHz if you overclock it to that level.

Agreed, you won't see much of a difference in real world performance, but you wouldn't see anything more if you would OC it to higher levels except in benchmarks.

So you have a 4.0GHz i7, that is just for e-peen really xD

Thanks guys, my best voltage for 4.0 was i 1.24v or just under at load. Im going to try and tinker down the voltages a tad and stay at 4.6 as i said i know it can do 4.7 np but way to much juice. Kinda of happy i got the chip plan for i7

If you have your lowest voltages of 4.6GHz, could you check what the lowest you can get on 4.5GHz?

I know some chips need an insane amount of voltage if pushed to a certain threshold, maybe it is viable in this case as well?

Example (hypothetically), an i5 can overclock to 3.9GHZ on 1.25v, but needs 1.35v to get to 4.0GHz, if this is the same case as with your processor (from 4.5 to 4.6) then it could save you quite some heat and voltages in the end and could preserve the lifespan of the processor. 

• 2 months later...