Crazy VRAM "recommendations" in gaming

Nyt

What is is with games and VRAM this year...

First it was Watch Dogs with 3Gb required for Ultra textures - and then mods came out to enable it on 2Gb cars and it worked fine. Now...

4Gb of VRAM recommended for The Evil Within... 

Source : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-26-bethesda-warns-you-should-have-4gb-of-vram-to-play-the-evil-within-pc

And the special "Ultra" textures for Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor (that need to be downloaded on day one in addition to the game) require 6Gb of VRAM - for 1080p !

Source : http://www.dsogaming.com/news/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-pc-settings-unveiled-ultra-textures-require-6gb-of-vram/

What is going on with the gaming industry, is optimization only used for consoles now ? ... At this rate they are probably going to start recommending 12Gb K6000 Quadro's soon :-/ ! 

consoles use like 2.5GB max or something for vram

The ps4 would like to disagree with you as Killzone used 5GB Vram already.

@topic,

I suspect that, because the consoles have quite a lot of Vram on their hands, the developers are taking advantage of it a bit too much and port it directly to the PC without any afterthought on what they should need in order to run the game on ultra settings.

@topic,

I suspect that, because the consoles have quite a lot of Vram on their hands, the developers are taking advantage of it a bit too much and port it directly to the PC without any afterthought on what they should need in order to run the game on ultra settings.

The PS4 has 8Gb of unified memory (for VRAM and RAM). And only up to 5.5GB of that is available for developers.

@topic,

The PS4 has 8Gb of unified memory (for VRAM and RAM). And only up to 5.5GB of that is available for developers.

Well, based on that..

If the developers would use 4gb of Vram and 1,5gb of system ram to get a game working, obviously it would reflect in the high Vram requirements needed for PC version with better textures.

This is just hypothetically of course, but it could be the only reason as far as i can see.

Developers need to stop optimizing games for consoles, especially since they are now a minority of the games sales. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/04/28/as-global-pc-game-revenue-surpasses-consoles-how-long-should-console-makers-keep-fighting/

That article has the dumbest of reasons to say consoles are "dying" lol.

900 million pc gamers of which 800 million are grandma's/mothers playing farmville and bejeweled.

Not to forget all those facebook games lol.

If steam is anything to go by, they just reached 100 million users, and i would guess that that is more of a realistic image of how many pc gamers there are compared to the 900 million that article describes.