ASUS DVD R/W only recognized as CD-RW

raisethe3

I have Nero installed and prior to using this burner, I have never used the drive to burn, only to install applications/games from it. I am trying to burn photos onto a blank DVD, however, Nero only recognizes this as a CD-RW drive. My drive states its a DVD writable drive. The drive, has no problem reading DVD data off the disc. So now, I am puzzled and stuck on what to do. Anyone can help please?  Should I try a different software?

In case you need the model number its: DRW-24F1ST

is it detected properly in the device manager, or any other software?  If so, then it would probably be nero that needs updated.  If everything else also detects it wrong, then you might be able to update the firmware of the dvd-writer

is it detected properly in the device manager, or any other software?  If so, then it would probably be nero that needs updated.  If everything else also detects it wrong, then you might be able to update the firmware of the dvd-writer

Yes it did detected properly in the device manager.  It states ASUS DRW-24F1ST.  Nero doesn't detect its even if I switch to other DVD writing programs.

This is the drive I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135305

Edited by raisethe3

Have you installed (Asus E-Green Utility) ?  http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/DRW24F1ST/HelpDesk_Download/ 

You should be able to use Windows software to drag files/photos into the disk folder,.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/burn-pictures-or-videos-to-a-cd-or-dvd

Edited by Braegnok

No it's not required,.. I was wondering if the utility icon was in your system tray when you insert a disk in the drive,.. and or if Windows dialog opens and asks what you want too do when you insert a blank disk.

Edited by Braegnok

If it is reading dvd's then I'd say the problem is with Nero, try to update it or a uninstall/ reinstall of the program.

I re-installed it.  Still no go.

Damn, I may need to splurge on a new DVD-RW instead.  ASUS sucks in peripheral I suppose.

Edited by raisethe3

So I installed Roxio which is a different program and still got the same problems.  Gave me no options to burn a blank DVD disc.  Its pretty clear that its the drive that's faulty here.  Funny because it can read and run off the drive, but just can't write (or at least no options of writing).  I am just going to have to buy another drive.  Perhaps I am going to try a different brand this time.  First time buying an ASUS drive by the way.