Coolant type.

slick2500

Getting ready to get my stuff all set up in my new case and I needed some ideas for what to use as coolant.

I have a Swiftech MCR220-QP radiator Swiftech MCP655-B pump and a Swiftech Apogee GTX block. Now I know I cannot run just straight water in it or my block will look like this in a few months. My idea was a combination of distilled water, some engine coolant, to keep corrosion down, and some automotive window washer fluid, to keep out microorganisms. 

All I use is distilled water and some silver. As long as you don't have any nickel plating, silver works wonders, and it's low maintenance. It's what I've been using for about 4 years since going to custom watercooling.

Thats the issue the top of the GTX is aluminum with nickle plating iirc. It might be zinc I don't remember. I'm looking it up now.

-Edit- The housing is CNC machined out of billet aluminum and receives two plating's for a lifetime protection against corrosion: electroless nickel plating (MIL-C-26074E grade B) and Zinc Cobalt plating (ASTM B 840-99 grade 6).

Edited by slick2500

I actually have been using automotive coolant with good results. Being a benz technician I have extra 50/50 laying around. Like a few gallons..... I'm using a propylene glycol based mb coolant. 25% coolant 75% tap water.

But if you use automotive coolant go ahead and run a filter before the pump for the first fluid Change or run the loop for a few days to break off all the buildup. It will remove any buildup that you could not remove due to its ph and cleaning properties. But if it's a new loop then this is not needed. And yes if it's not clear it will leave color behind but it does not effect temperature.

My experiences.

Boinker

Just don't use Biocide, the last time I did when I opened the bottle to use it, it had algae in it lol.

Which one were you using, and was it sealed properly? I have had the same tiny bottle of PTNuke for years and it still looks brand new. By nature it should be impossible for anything to grow in it - it is very hostile with copper sulfate in it.

I have been using distilled with a couple drops of PT Nuke in my hot side loops for ages, never had any growth in them. Straight distilled is actually the best performing, auto antifreeze and most additives cannot transfer heat as well as pure distilled.

I have been using PrimoChill Ice for several years now.  I mix it 50/50 with distilled water.  Works great.  They say not to mix it with anything, but being kind of a rebel........... well...............

Sometimes I'll run my loops for 9 -12 months without maintenance and so far so good.  No algae, no buildup, no gunk.  The only thing is if you used the colored stuff it will eventually stain clear hoses and acrylic.

Otherwise it has been great and why I keep going back.

http://www.primochill.com/product/primochill-ice-intensifieda%C2%84%C2%A2-non-conductive-coolant-black-32oz-2/