need help to OC my laptop

sajjadra

hi friends,

I want to OC my laptop cpu... Lenovo thinkpad edge E430

cpu: intel core i5 3210m ivy bridge

anyone that can help. help me

thanks

IMO overclocking a laptop CPU is not worth the time even in a gaming laptop. You get more benefit by overclocking the gpu in a laptop and even then its not going to give much benefit.

Edited by jimbo312

i have good cooling system

I'm sorry, but no, no you don't.  Those laptops are designed to run near the top of the CPU's thermal ability at stock speeds.  

But, for giggles, let's assume you DO manage to OC this laptop (and trust me it isn't going to be easy even if it's possible) you're looking at less than a 5% gain.  The ONLY way to OC that CPU is by upping the BCLK from the ~100 it is now to if you're VERY lucky around 105. Most OC oriented motherboards have issues getting 105 stable and nearly zero regular consumer boards will top 103/104.  So that's a max of 2.625 Ghz base clock and 3.255 Ghz turbo. But wait there's more.  This is a 35w CPU, and turbo only works when two states are in line.  1 the CPU temp must be low enough (already pushing that one at stock) and 2 the CPU package can't use more than the 35w of power (the GPU IS included in this power calculation by the way) So you'll likely be hitting one turbo bin lower so you're now at a max of 3.15 Ghz. 

50 Mhz isn't going to make a BIT of difference in real world performance.  You also run the risk or bricking the system with a lot of the tools out there that would allow you to OC in the first place so the risk REALLY isn't worth the already unlikely reward. This is coming from a guy who HAS OCed laptops in the past with full understanding of the risks and even had some success, but the way the modern systems are designed it's a totally different animal to try and tame. 

Like everyone else has said, you are already limited. And you would likely be limited to software overclocking.

Overclocking laptops can be done with the right hardware and knowledge, noit to go too far off topic but I overclocked the snot out of my older dell laptop: BUT i changed CPUs to a newer generation with higher efficiency. Went from a Celeron M at 1.4 GHz to a Pentium-M 1.6 GHz, and OC'd from 400 FSB to 533 which gave me roughly 2.13GHz. Plus performance was boosted in other areas :woot: . Still was limited graphically, but it did help a lot.

Hehe I still have my P-6860FX, I was looking at it yesterday actually, I lost the T9300 I bought for it (seriously no clue where I put it) found a random CPU (little better than the crap T5550) for it about a month ago, but I had forgotten where I put the laptop :lol: guess I'll have to find them both at the same time one day and bring back the memories.