SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD Reviewed

Bosco

does it really use 41% of your cpu?

I have the feeling those numbers are hard to trust as it varies wildly depending on how fast the disk is and what power state the CPU is in. Generally the faster you can do work the higher the CPU utilization will be on iometer.

With that specific test I re-ran it multiple times and got roughly similar results each time. It's also possible that some of the numbers (they aren't all mine, we share results) were run with the lower power states on the CPU disabled. I'll have to double check but I believe I have the low power states enabled on my test rig to more closely match real-world results - this allows the CPU to stay in a low-power state (at say 1.6 GHz) when I/O is the only thing being done. Scaling that utilization up to the 4.5 GHz we run for testing without power savings enabled would bring that 41% number down into the mid teens.

Depends on what I'm copying from. I don't have much that can sustain the write speeds that this can handle. :lol: If I generate a workload from RAM it can do damn near 500 MB/s writes even with "small" 1 MB writes. With general file copies I see between 300-400 MB/s when copying from an array that can do about 400 MB/s max.

The real question is daily use though - I used to swear by Intel Smart Response. I even ran a triple drive short-stroked RAID 0 array behind a VERY fast SSD...and this makes that setup feel like molasses. SanDisk doesn't publish the size of the SLC caching on the drive but it's clearly enough to give it an edge over "regular" MLC drives.

When you can boot it and it has a 10 year warranty...let me know.

Oh yeah, drop the price by half too. :lol:

I can boot it and will check on the warranty but I doubt either of the drives sit in a system that long!  Sadly I am waiting on a case for the build to put it to use!    

I thought you couldn't boot your OS from the original Revo Drive?

Anyway - I think they had a 3 year warranty. Granted, the Extreme PRO is only warrantied for ~80 TB of endurance, but most users will never touch that unless they try to. It comes out to about 20 GB of writes per day... :lol: