PC Crash?

Pteroduck

So I was just regularly gaming and my PC just went poof and lost power. I could turn it back on. I think my OC might be too much for my PC.

I'm running an 850w Silverstone, XFX R9 290 DD, i5-4690k, Asus z97M plus, Windows 7, Crucial M4 SSD, NH-D14, 3x8GB 1866 ARES Gskill ram, I had the system running 4.2GHZ @ 1.2v and the ram at 1866. could it be not enough power?

As long as that 850 is not acting up it should power your system no problem. Did it blue screen or just shut down, might need to be cleaned out as it could be over heating ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano

I had a friend of mine who bought a used gaming desktop from me.  The scenario that happened on you also happened on him.  The only difference is that he got a broken fan in his PSU.  So, he could still turn his system till PSU is too hot again.

Edited by VicVic

We all would hope you ran a proper 24hr stress test on your system after you ocd it? Also, did you run memtest on your ram when you got it? New ram doesn't mean good ram which is why you should always test new parts before assuming they are good. Also run furmark for a few minutes, maybe 3-5 on your video card tops.

If you have a psu tester or know someone that does, test your psu or use the paper-clip and multimeter method to test it. A computer shop may test your psu for free as it takes all of 30 seconds as well.

Like SS said, check your heatsinks, both cpu and gpu for blockage.

I ran it for 24hrs using OCCT with the AVX linpack to test and it passed. I ran a memtest with no errors either. I just tested furmark and the GPU looks to be ok. This is fairly new so I'd doubt it would have dust in it but I'll check either way

As long as that 850 is not acting up it should power your system no problem. Did it blue screen or just shut down, might need to be cleaned out as it could be over heating ?

It just shutdown, the temps are fairly cool. There wwas no dust or such to stop airflow and keep the parts from cooling off.

Did you happen to have a brown out or brief loss of power at your residence?  Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the PC or components at all?

We had a small brown out yes. I'm waiting for the PSU tester to come.

While you're waiting for the Power Supply tester, grab the OCCT stress testing application and run a power supply stress test and see if it fails.  This is only a software based test, but it load the heck out of your system and if the power supply isn't up to snuff the test may fail.

You can get OCCT here;

http://www.ocbase.com/

A PSU tester is rather pointless if the PSU will make the system POST.  If it wont here's the quick way to test it complaments of the company I "strongly dislike" http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2011/may/testing-your-corsair-power-supply

Btw, passing the "test" doesn't prove anything as it could likely put out 100w all day long and it may only take 110w to make it power down depending on what parts are bad inside (if any)

I will say though, those symptoms combined with brown out make me shake my finger at the PSU.  Actually that's EXACTLY how my SIlverstone OP650 went out.  It actually still works for up to around 300w of load, but top that and she goes poof. At least mine was 7 years old when it died :)

In other news 850w is MASSIVE overkill for your system so it's certainly not crazy high power draw that caused it.