Need a moniter resolution fix

H37

At this point I NEED to upgrade my PC's monitor and that will happen in the next 2 months but... For the time being the monitor I'm currently using is quiet laughable. :yucky:

Let's just say that at the time I built my first PC about 3 months ago, I had not fully considered the impact that a half decent monitor or even a lower end monitor would have on my gaming... So I decided to save some cash and just stick with an old 18" Acer moniter very similiar to THIS one, that was leftover from a long ago discarded emachines desktop.

Now I'm no idiot, I was'nt planning on settling for gaming in 1366x768 resolution! See... At the time I had an old HP Notebook with a Nvidia 8200m GPU, which when connected the the monitor through the VGA port allowed for resolution up to 1920x1080 on both the acer monitor and notebook display! I basically figured that if a 128bit notebook GPU could handle 1080p (quit well actually) on the acer monitor. Than my R9 280x OC Edition should do the same and/or better w/ absolutely no problem...

Well... For whatever reason I was wrong. Dead wrong! Whenever I try to set the resolution to anything past 1366x768 with my R9 280x and the Acer monitor, the screen immediatly goes black and a prompt states that the current resolution is not supported by my monitor... I have tried adjusting the resolution thru windows and thru AMD's Catalyst Control Center. Even with various setting enabled/disabled... (GPU scaling for instance) But nothing seems to work. I should note that I have to use a DVI to VGA adapter with the Acer and my R9 280x, which I believe may be a large part of the problem. All the drivers are up to date on both the GPU and monitor but that doesnt seem to make a difference.

So if you have any ideas on how to remedy the situation that would be most helpful... I would even gladly settle for 1600x900 for the time being.

You are obviously misunderstanding something here?

If your Acer is specified at 1366 x 768 then that it's maximum resolution. If your laptop was truly outputting 1920 x 1280 to the Acer it would give the same symptoms you are experiencing with your new R9.

Makes sense... I guess I assumed it was outputting at 1920x1080 because all the scaling on the desktop and text matched what would happen if I up'd the resolution. (It all got a hell of a lot smaller)

What's the model? Think Paul is right

I lied lol... When I originally posted this I was at a LAN party and didnt have the monitor in front of me so I just searched for a 1366x768 monitor that I figured had similar specs. Anyways the monitor is not an Acer it is an "emachines E181H" thanks for asking though.