Fantasy Football

Nerm

We have two spots still open for our 2014 Fantasy Football league. If anyone is interested PM me your email address and I will send an invite. The draft is August 17th at 2:00pm EST.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean Handegg or proper football ? :P

Did you mean American Football or Association Football? You know association football which was referred to as soccer by just about everyone everywhere until the 1970's when the Brit's got butt hurt that everyone was using their word so to set themselves apart they disowned the word in favor of just football. The word football that actually refers to several different sports. Yes this post is about American Football and not Soccer. :)

Did you mean American Football or Association Football? You know association football which was referred to as soccer by just about everyone everywhere until the 1970's when the Brit's got butt hurt that everyone was using their word so to set themselves apart they disowned the word in favor of just football. The word football that actually refers to several different sports. Yes this post is about American Football and not Soccer. :)

:snap:

The first official game of American football was played in 1869. The Football Association (the FA, the governing body of football in England) was already formed in 1863.

So technically, Association Football was officially termed Football before American Football even existed (it was rugby before then). 

Football is not officially termed soccer, else "FIFA" would be "FISA" and the "FA" would be the "SA".

But colloquially, football can be also be called soccer and American football can also be called handegg :) 

The first official game of American football was played in 1869. The Football Association (the FA, the governing body of football in England) was already formed in 1863.

So technically, Association Football was officially termed Football before American Football even existed (it was rugby before then). 

Football is not officially termed soccer, else "FIFA" would be "FISA" and the "FA" would be the "SA".

But colloquially, football can be also be called soccer and American football can also be called handegg :)

:snap: (double)!

Actually football would be quite interesting if the ball was actually shaped like an egg lol.

btw, I never said american football was first. It is a hybrid of soccer and rugby so it obviously couldn't have come first. ;) I never even said it was officially termed soccer. I was pointing out that the term soccer was used quite a bit even in England (in fact that was the terms origin) before the 1970's. Most non-American soccer fans I know get all up in arms when I say soccer even though that is another name for the sport.

Actually football would be quite interesting if the ball was actually shaped like an egg lol.

btw, I never said american football was first. It is a hybrid of soccer and rugby so it obviously couldn't have come first. ;) I never even said it was officially termed soccer. I was pointing out that the term soccer was used quite a bit even in England (in fact that was the terms origin) before the 1970's. Most non-American soccer fans I know get all up in arms when I say soccer even though that is another name for the sport.

Ah, so what you are saying is that "soccer" was an interchangeable word with "football" in the past (although the official federations like the FA and FIFA use the word football) and the term "soccer" was widely accepted as another word for "football".

That makes sense :)

Because the below is a Wikipedia extract on the word "football" :

The term "soccer", derived from a transformation/emendation of the "assoc" in Association football, was popularised by a prominent English footballer, Charles Wreford-Brown (1866