Sapphire ATI 7970 High Temp

Hello :)

First of all this is the exact model that I have : http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=1443&lid=1

I have the card for about one year and a little bit it's running perfect but recently I started to notice that the temps while playing games is high

I was playing Company of Heroes 2 and I've heard the gpu fan a little bit loud so I did check the temp on Sapphire Trixx it was running at 94C ..

The case that I'm using is HAF X 

A big fan infront as intake(It's spinning at low speed is that normal?)

Big left case fan as intake but also spinning at low speed

One in the end for exhaust small one and spinning like how it should be

H100 push/pull

I think the case is doing fine for ventilating (Your opinions are important)

Last 2 days I did some clean up the H100 is running more quiet but I do need a paint brush to clean the radiator(H100)

But now my problem is the GPU

It's summer I know.. and it's hot in Summer where I live..

Idle the temps are 40-46

It never reached those temps before I remember sometimes reaching 80s but rarely..

I've raised the fans speed and turned on the AC but the room wasn't cold as it should be.. it decreased to 90 while playing

I'm a bit worried about the card because it costed me a little bit it was expensive here

Ah and yes I'm using the latest stable AMD drivers if that matters.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Devilz_108

94 C isn't too terrible - it certainly won't damage it if that's what you're worried about.

Thanks mate yes that what is making me worried

Should I change the thermal paste?(Already changed for the CPU but not for the GPU , I've used AC MX 2 for the CPU there aren't many brands available here)

I wouldn't bother. It'll get you very slightly better performance for cooling (maybe a degree or two). The issue is mostly due to your high room temperatures.

94 C is totally safe though - if you're not getting artifacting and the card is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have that much dust build up on the H100 then the first thing I would do for that reference card is to blow out the dust bunnies from the I/O side first then from the fan intake to loosen up the dust. Wash, rinse, repeat until you have no more dust coming out of the card. The fan is loud when it ramps up but with that case the airflow through the case is more than adequate to keep the internal case temps close to if not at ambient temperatures. In that respect you should be fine. Dust management seems to be your issue. 

Blower slot coolers get clogged fairly easily if you are not running filters on your intake fans.

I can pretty much be confident that your problem is a dirty GPU heatsink. You may be able to pull the card and use an air can to get most of it out, but if its too bad you may need to remove the plastic shroud to clean it.

Even so if your H100 was that dusty then the GPU is most likely just as bad. 

I see your point .. even that I do have dust filters on the case , the filters did it job but there was a little bit of dust or maybe more than a bit :D

I'll re-clean it when I get the paint brush so I can reach the dust and blow it..

Edited by Devilz_108