Floorstanding speakers or Bookshelves w/ sub?

l1il

15 members have voted

1. 1. Subs or no subs, that is the question

• Bookshelves speakers with a sub, takes less spaces
    • Large floorstanding speakers for more power
    • Either one does the trick, as long as they are Hi-Fi
    • Could you speak louder, I couldn't hear the question
    • Give me Bose and I'll be fine with it!

It just might be a derivative of a conversation of me and GabrielTessin, talking about subwoofers.

Again, I am strongly opiniated on this subject (what is UP with me) but I still want community opinions.

EDIT : Whoops, might have put one pic unrealted to sound system, guess which one doesn't belong.

post-102652-0-86011900-1406332566_thumb.jpg   post-102652-0-00025900-1406332588_thumb.jpg

post-102652-0-21545900-1406332577_thumb.jpg

The only correct answer is:

Floorstanding speakers with a good subwoofer.

I have bigass floor speakers and a refrigerator-sized subwoofer for movies (and dubstep :lol:). You can't replace displacement no matter how hard you try (with the exception of massive amounts of cash and wattage).

For the rooms in the pictured I would go with bookshelves. You already have the speakers and I assume they have a good enough bass response to get into the 60hz range so most good subs would pair well with them. I would suggest putting them on a pedestal or shelf of some kind to get them up to ear level. You will notice a difference, tweeters sound best with a direct line to the ear hole lol. If you did add pedestals they would waste just as much space as a floor standing speaker but without has much low end bass. If you put them on a shelf then you would get the same effect plus has shelve space :D 

I think those rooms are going to be poor acoustic environments, a room makes a huge difference on how speakers sound. I'm not an expert but  the crazy people in the Audio section of AVS forums are and I have learned a lot from them . 

My living room has floor standers and bookshelves. Nothing special, just some Sony SS series speakers, they are easy to listen to and very clear but I still feel the need to use them with a sub. 

What concerns me is pairing a sub with powered speakers is a little more of a challenge but is doable. 

I prefer passive speakers after my active M-Audio monitors amp took a crap. Now they are utterly useless, if they had been passive I just would have found a new amp and moved on. 

Floor standing speaker definetly can handle more power but my Cervin Vega HT6 bookshelves put out more volume than anyone should be anywhere near. They are capable of insane volume at low wattage, I have never maxed them out because the one time I tried my ears rung for a few days. They don't put out much bass though and pair well with a subwoofer. 

I have a pair of these. They were purchased new by my father in 1964. The tops are 24" Portuguese Marble. Empire Electronics Royal Grenadiers 9000M. Mine are all original and still work.

a.jpg

In both those pics I would get those speakers up of the ground and on stands level with the video source so that the soundstage matches the video.

Floorstanding or bookshelf doesn't bother me and it all depends on what component set up there is as to how bass is tackled.

At some point I would love to give an open baffle sub a go

In both those pics I would get those speakers up of the ground and on stands level with the video source so that the soundstage matches the video.

Floorstanding or bookshelf doesn't bother me and it all depends on what component set up there is as to how bass is tackled.

+1 on all counts except for open baffle for me personally. I nice punchy 8" sub like my old Klipsh is perfect for me :D 

That being said I don't think I have gotten to hear an open baffle sub, I would be concerned about over extending xmax even with a very beefy spider/suspension and bottoming out the sub. 

+1 on all counts except for open baffle for me personally. I nice punchy 8" sub like my old Klipsh is perfect for me :D

That being said I don't think I have gotten to hear an open baffle sub, I would be concerned about over extending xmax even with a very beefy spider/suspension and bottoming out the sub.

It's part of the fun. I really want to try as I have never heard one before and would be very interesting to experience

You mean infinite baffle right? Back wave not contained at all but separated from the front?

They are exceedingly smooth but you really do have to watch the power input at low frequencies to avoid exceeding xmax. You generally use multiple drivers to make up for that.

I had my Cobalt and BP's Cavalier set up infinite baffle and damn did the sound great. I'd love to do a wall of a house with 8 12" drivers or something similar.

You mean infinite baffle right? Back wave not contained at all but separated from the front?

They are exceedingly smooth but you really do have to watch the power input at low frequencies to avoid exceeding xmax. You generally use multiple drivers to make up for that.

I had my Cobalt and BP's Cavalier set up infinite baffle and damn did the sound great. I'd love to do a wall of a house with 8 12" drivers or something similar.

Not infinite baffle but open I have heard IB subs before but not OB. If that wall ever comes to fruit it would be a sight to see.

There a quite a few on diyaudio and I am keen to give it a listen. And if it doesn't work it's not hard to scrap it and make an IB or folding horn enclosure if you aren't keen to cut holes in floors etc haha

Also this would be great to experience

http://www.royaldevice.com/useless.htm

I don't know what open baffle is...what separates the rear wave from the front?

EDIT: After Googling...screw that design. It's wasteful and pointless. :lol: Why use 15" drivers to get the output/extension of an 8" driver?

There are semi-open baffle designs around the net, where one of the woofer is enclosed. I forgot to take note of the link as I only googled it for my knowledge. I cannot see any advantage to it, since they are having open baffle to avoid cabinet resonance, which mostly happen in the lower range.

I cannot see the point of open-baffle, as your room treatment seems more important (the whole room is your speaker now) and the sensitivity goes down the drain. To each their own.

I have to go with floor speakers. I like to feel the bass as much as hear it without it being over powering. for much of my listening I have several sets of floor speakers with dual 8's that are 4' and 5' tall I've been amazed at how well they sound for a smaller speaker because i've always built cabinets with 12's and 15's

somethings are hard to change for me and this is one of them....