Need some help

So yesterday I was gonna try and play some Battlefield 4, went to load it up and it stuck on the loading screen for like 5 min then just closed out and Battlelog said something went wrong. I did a complete reinstall of BF4 and still the same issue. I tried disabling Crossfire-X still will not load. Then I noticed that my cpu is idleing at 35* and only running from 2.9 Ghz to 3.1 Ghz. Default is 3.5 Ghz. I have all the cpu settings in the bios set to default. I have all the power saving features disabled as well. The heatsink on my northbridge is so hot that I cannot touch it. Is my motherboard crapping out? Or could it be my cpu?

Edited by slick2500

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not claiming that this will fix your problem, but if I were in your situation I would;

1. Full BIOS clear and reset (including removal of CMOS battery)

2. Re-do the thermal paste between the NB chipset and heatsink

See if that changes anything.

I just tried a full bios clear, let it set for like 10 min. I need to get a new tube of tim I'm all out at the moment.

Also I had noticed that my volume would decrease and increase by itself while playing games and watching movies. This has been happening for a few weeks now.

^

Was there any change in hardware configurations, recently?

Also check to see if any fans have stopped working. That happened to me once, causing my northbridge heatsink to get really hot.

Only thing I did was add in a second video card. I removed the second video card and still get the same results Sound was messing up before installing the second video card. All my fans are still up and running.

Only thing I did was add in a second video card. I removed the second video card and still get the same results Sound was messing up before installing the second video card. All my fans are still up and running.

Probably wev's suggestion is the best option before a new motherboard. Check the thermal pads on the northbridge chipset and heatsink. I'm not sure what else it could be.

It might not be the thermal pads.  It might be the northbridge going bad or maybe a problem with the power circuitry that feeds the northbridge.  It might also be some other problem with the motherboard that we have no idea about.  The only thing we are trying to do is eliminate potential causes that you can address yourself without the hassle of a RMA.

And I suppose that this doesn't help matters, the heads ink isn't even coming into contact with the VRMs, the motherboard is bowed really bad.

Probably the CPU heatsink weighed down the motherboard, causing it to bend, which in turn caused the NB heatsink to not get flushed to the VRM's?

Anyways, I would get some thicker thermal pads to replace the one that was on there. That should solve your issue if you don't just RMA the board.