2 replies to this topic

#1 kendellrt

kendellrt

My computer can beat up your honor student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4028 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I have been going through all of my startup items on my newly installed Win 8.1 and noticed the Google Update entry.  I've seen it before, but I've never really understood what it was for.  All of the resources that I have found via Google search say that it is not needed, but I though that it was the startup item used to update Chrome.  Keep in mind, this entry is the one located in the User Logon section, not in services or anywhere else.  I can't find a definitive answer as to whether I actually needed or not, so I thought I would go to my trusted to go source for the legit scope, which is OCC of course.  Will someone give me an answer on this?  I can provide a screenshot if you'd like.  Thanks everyone!  Now that I have jumped ship from Mac back to Windows, I really need to get invloved here again like I use to back in the day.

The member formerly known as chavalcito.

#2 Phil

Phil

im in ur fieldz, hooverin ur swardz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I don't think it's needed, but you may have trouble removing it.  If it's from Chrome, it probably won't stay gone.  You can try to delete the updater folder in the Google program files, that has worked for me.

The real cow king.

Posted Image

Antec P182, Asus Commando Green MB, Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 Ghz, Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler, Corsair DDR2, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC, 2 WD Raptors 160GB, CoolerMaster 750W PS

#3 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15879 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

If you use Google Chrome, Google Calendar or Gmail and want to receive automatic updates you should leave it enabled.  That is unless you want to do those things manually.

10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg