New Unreal Tournament - FREE w/ Community Marketplace

ClayMeow

The Unreal announcement planned for today has unveiled that the next Unreal Tournament will be completely free and community-developed.

The Future of Unreal Tournament Begins Today

Work on the future of Unreal Tournament begins today, and we

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

free is..... okay but i rather pay money for a compete game. only time will tell but I'm guessing it will take a few years before anyone can play it .

free is..... okay but i rather pay money for a compete game. only time will tell but I'm guessing it will take a few years before anyone can play it .

Agreed. I think it's possible it's playable by the end of the year, but if so, it'd be pretty barebones at that point.

I think it being "free" would be neat if it's a complete experience - and by that I mean all the typical game modes we expect and a decent number maps; but if it's something like a couple maps and just Deathmatch, with the rest up to the community, I'll pass.

I've always been a fan of UT and I'm sure I'll check it out eventually but I would really rather a finished game.

Maybe its good for some but I have no interest in spending my precious time screwing with any more alpha/beta development stuff. 

I was very happy with the info they gave. It is a native PC release, not a watered down console port, and the community will have an active direction in its progress. Both of those things mean we will get a game more similar to its roots like 2k4 then the console-ized UT3.

Being completely free, with a community driven marketplace, are huge bonuses. Look at what things like the Steam Workshop did for old games like Left 4 Dead 2. Still has tons of players playing and developing new maps, mods, and campaigns for it which severely extends the game replayability.

Honestly I think this is a great idea. It's about the only way to keep people happy, have them make it themselves lol. I also think that it will be made faster than most people will expect. The unreal community is full of very talented people with a thirst for this game and will be very involved in it's creation. Hell there is already a somewhat playable clone called Open Tournament that was created in a few weeks by the community, some speculate that this is why Epic decided to get involved, because it was gonna happen anyway. That's the beauty of UT games, the game only needs to be a shell to begin with and the community adds so much to it that by the time it's done you may not even know you are playing it lol. to make this game the way most games are being made and sold today would only kill it off since the user customization is such a big part of it.

Free and a community-developed game sound like two winners in my book. It's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together, as it certainly has the potential to be massively brilliant.

Hmmmm, I am certainly interested in playing this title. Free2Play is generally a good model in my book, depending on the amount of in-game advertising a developer does though.

In the end, I'm excited to hear more about this new UT as it comes along. :)

Hmmmm, I am certainly interested in playing this title. Free2Play is generally a good model in my book, depending on the amount of in-game advertising a developer does though.

In the end, I'm excited to hear more about this new UT as it comes along. :)

It won't be free-to-play, but just simply free. Anything made and sold in the marketplace will help go towards paying for servers and the like.