8 replies to this topic

#1 gebraset

gebraset

Geek

• News Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

So with traveling, I am finding that I am in need of a VPN service. I don't have a computer at home that I can use as my own server, so I'm looking to other services to be able to provide VPN capabilities for me. While some users want to use a VPN to make their traffic look like its from outside the US, I just want to be able to secure my login information for various websites while located in public Wi-Fi spots, as well as access US content while out of country.

Pretty much, my criteria are services that use multiple security technologies (IPSEC, OPENVPN, etc.), can access US based servers, has some kind of professional UI, and are less than $50 per year.

As of now, I cam finding the following to be interesting but have no experience with any of them at this point in time:

PureVPN

CyberGhost (offers free service, but US servers are always full which is the problem)

WiTopia

Private Internet Access

Can anyone recommend any of these, or even better, dissuade me from using any of them? I am needing to make a decision in about the next two days or so, so I don't have tons of time to figure this out, lol.  :teehee:

Gateway NV52L15u

15.6” HD LED LCD | AMD A8-4500M | AMD Radeon 7640G | WD 500GB 5400RPM HD | 8GB DDR3 1600 | DVD Super Multi DL

#2 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6453 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I use HMA! Pro VPN. Although it costs $78.66 per year, you can pay monthly ($11.52) for when you need it.

If you want to get really into it, you can create a live Tails (which is free) install on a USB flash drive, and use the Tails OpenPGP Applet for encryption.

#3 thebroseph

thebroseph

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster and all that jazz. But this topic piqued my interest as I recently had to make a similar decision

After looking through the review sites, comparing features etc.. and factoring how much I travel, I started using/subscribing to https://ironsocket.com

The reasons are because it's based in Hong Kong (I go there a lot), I can stream using Netflix/Hulu and whatever else easy, and can still use OpenVpn with it along with Socks proxies that are easy to setup in browsers etc.. and it's cheap!

there are many providers out there I know, but I do like the fact that the one I chose is not very known, so it is still very fast ;)

#4 gebraset

gebraset

Geek

• News Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, HMA is just too expensive for what I am looking for, but I appreciate the input.

In regards to IronSocket, it actually looks pretty good and professional. The setup seems like PureVPN, but a little more friendly overall. Thank you for the suggestion!

I stumbled across VPNBook last night, and am using it right now. It seems to work pretty darn well, especially since it is free and uses the OpenVPN Client to connect to the servers which it has in Europe, the UK, and US. Has anyone used it before? It seems like exactly what I need, which is to keep credentials and traffic secure over open networks.

Gateway NV52L15u

15.6” HD LED LCD | AMD A8-4500M | AMD Radeon 7640G | WD 500GB 5400RPM HD | 8GB DDR3 1600 | DVD Super Multi DL

#5 don3149

don3149

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

I have actually used HMA, IPVanish and a few others. I live in Asia and use mostly US based sites. HMA has the most servers to choose from but I did have problems from time to time as well as getting booted now and then. I started using IPVanish about 3 months ago and have never had any problems. I was also using some free proxy sites that worked well at topvpns dot org.  I have not used purevpn, but have heard good this too.

#6 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 1999 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I use this http://www.ibvpn.com/ $4.95 a month for the basic one, and that seems to be the one you would need. I have been using it the past 2 months, and so far I like it. The ui is very simple and user friendly. They do offer a free trial but I think its just like 6 hours.

Edited by slick2500, 26 April 2014 - 07:09 PM.

slick2500.jpg
Main Rig AMD FX 6300 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Team Dark 2x4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 270X Corsair TX850 PSU Coolermaster Stacker 830SE

#7 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15883 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

I know that this thread is a little long in the tooth now, but Geb I was wondering if you had made a choice and if so what service did you end up with.  I've been considering a VPN too as an additional layer of protection and anonymity (lets just say it wont be for business though   :))

I've been reading reviews for a week now and narrowed it down to some of the providers on your original list plus a couple of other interesting alternatives including one called TunnelBear.  My five primary considerations have been;

1. No logging or logging destroyed within 24 hours

2. Payment / account anonymity

3. Price

4. Bandwidth / speed / throughput

5. Easy On / Off switching

10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#8 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15883 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

If you want to get really into it, you can create a live Tails (which is free) install on a USB flash drive, and use the Tails OpenPGP Applet for encryption.

Mind expanding on this with a "how to" or link?

10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#9 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6453 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

I use HMA! Pro VPN. Although it costs $78.66 per year, you can pay monthly ($11.52) for when you need it.

Mind expanding on this with a "how to" or link?

Yeah, when I find time, I'll write up a guide for it. I've had a busy stretch lately. :(

You can just go to the Tails website https://tails.boum.org/ and read up on things. There's a few things you need to do to verify the Tails authentication, and you need to read up on any security holes for any specific version that's out there and keep that in mind. I think it's a bit more advanced than most people can handle, but hopefully with a guide, I can make it easy. If you use Tails the wrong way, things could turn out badly, but that would be something I would go over.