Upgrade path for CPU

Life's been keeping me real busy, but I finally have some time to tinker with my PC and get some upgrades done over the summer.

I haven't been keeping up lately, but just how worse is the performance of an APU (say, my 5800k) vs like a FX chip or an Intel equivalent?

I bought this APU because at the time I was REALLY on a budget and needed something to play Dota and League. It handled both with flying colors.

But now that I have some cash on hand...what do you guys think about the new APU that's supposedly coming out in 2015, Carizo for the FM2+ ? My board isn't even FM2+ so basically my FM2 mobo's socket life ended, and I heard that AM3+ is going to be dead very very soon.

So I guess my next option is to either swap over to Intel or wait for the new socket from AMD. 

Thoughts on the future roadmap for CPUs?

It's hard to tell what will happen in 2015 since technology tends to evolve so quickly.

If you want to do an upgrade right now grab something like the Asus Z87-A socket 1150 motherboard and an i5 4670K.  Pick a discrete video card based on your usage and call it good.

There is the Haswell refresh coming out in June I believe with better IHS if you decide that. After Haswell you'll need a new socket I believe. With AMD can't say easy, nobody knows if Excavator will be a flop, or when AMD will announce that unified socked