Flash drives

kennethk

Since external sd/hard drives are now becoming affordable do you still have any needs for a flash drive?

Don't know why but they're just useless to me, I have no problem what so ever hauling around a 2.5" drive with me since they're small and compact to begin with.

Even then flash drives can be replaced with high capacity micro sd/sd cards these days, so I just don't know I just don't see a point in them that much as a personal thought.

ps: As I'm typing this I'm still tempted to get a $25 65gb flash drive from newegg :P

Like I say they just seem pointless to me since micro sd cards are so cheap now and you can easily buy usb adapters.

They're really cheap, and some of the USB 3.0 (like the SanDisk Extreme 3.0 USB's) are just as fast as SATA II SSD's. Other more expensive ones are as fast as some SATA III SSD's. If you have a good use for them, I'd say go for it.

Some of my uses for USB's:

Windows 8 To Go

Windows 8 and 7 Install Disks

Ubuntu

Acronis Home True Image Boot

Backtrack Gnome/KDE

Tails

Parted Magic

Backups

Offline File Storage

They're really handy in a pinch, and can be more useful than just holding storage.

Edited by El_Capitan

I use flash drives every day, as Capi pointed out their great for installing os's, I have 4 just for that, also I use one for portable hardware programs when testing customer's pc's on the road. I have friends who I share movies with who just have dvd players with usb ports only, much better and faster than wasting a dvd disk. Micro sd cards are great for cameras but too small and easy to lose to be portable. I have 3 external hd's but I use those for storage of personal files and backups so I don't like dragging them with me when I go out, too much chance of losing or dropping them causing damage. :no:

^What they said

My new PNY Turbo 128GB is like a SSD in my pocket (when on USB 3.0) and I can use it to for fixing computers or whatever I need to and it's a lot more versatile than my external HDD (which I still carry with me for raw storage)