New Build for JBags

JBags

Hey all,

I've been wanting to put a new rig together for a while, but I'm finally ready to bite the bullet! Here's a newegg wishlist of what I had been planning on getting, and I'd like your thoughts on it. I don't really have a formal budget, i'm willing to spend on this, but not ludicrously so. ($1000 Intel Extremes are off the table, I'm afraid.)

Frankly, I put most of this build wishlist together a long time ago (990FX + FX8350), and with AMD pretty much shelving the enthusiast/am3+ market with nothing new or word of anything new in over a year, I'm not sure if this build is the way to go. i've always been an AMDer, but should I go Intel? 

Primary purposes are gaming, programming, media consumption. Upgrading from the current rig in my signature.

Thanks,

JBags

Well, depending on how much single threaded performances are important to you, an Intel might be a better but costlier choice.

There was not a huge improvement from 61xx to 63xx series, there was one for sure, but Intel is still unmatched.

Here is the review of the 8350 from OCC, where the 6120 is benchmarked in different apps.

For programming, depending on the scale of the projects you are doing, Intel always have better optimizations from MS compilers

Also, take note that the non-k processors versus -k ones (say 4770 and 4770k), the latter overclocks but does not support vt-d,

being one of compilers optimizations.

To have both (and to blow money away with costlier board and a package of 4 RAM sticks matched) you could go 4820k or 4930k.

The rest seems fine, the 850 watts power supply suggests you go crossfire? Oh and your 290 was out of stock when I looked. :unsure:

What case were you looking at for all of this goodness? Pretty solid choices on parts as well for a good AMD build.

Personally my preferance has always been towars intel but it really is up to you in the end. THe other thing I would do is loook at the other companies for parts like the GPU, Asus, MSI and so on have cheaper optioins available some that come with 3 free games. Although i do love the vapour-x cooling. Then also the PSU offerings from Silverstone, PCP&P and Seasonic etc.

All just depends on what is on sale at time of purchase. Oh and take it from me you will always want more SSD so if you can bump it up to 240-256Gb

Looks like a good build.  Are you planning for crossfire in the future?  If not, you definitely don't need that hx850.  Wayyy overkill for a single card.  Save some cash, get a quality 650w, and put the saved money to a bigger SSD.  :)

Thanks for the replies, guys!  :)

I have heeded your suggestions and lowered the PSU, and raised the SSD to 250gb. 

All of this is going into my already owned Cooler Master cm690 II case.

I've also done some additional research and assembled this Intel build, which I'm leaning towards due to being more up-to-date (pci-e v3 and faster ddr3 speeds, etc).

Though I'm thinking if I were to go Intel, with 9-series chipsets/boards around the corner, should I wait a bit? Grab a z97 board and then down the road upgrade to a "5770k"? Thoughts?

whoa whoa I'm not waiting till q4 lol. I saw an ad a few days ago (for Gigabyte, i think) teasing the upcoming 9 series chipset boards, so I figured those were only a couple weeks away. so i figured it might not be a bad idea to wait a few weeks to get a z97 board and subsequently have the ability to upgrade to Broadwell later on if it's worth it.  :doh: