SilverStone Tundra TD02 problem

So I recently put together a new build, significantly more modest than originally planned due to car troubles that ended up costing a lot of money.

Anyway, I got a 4770k and a silverstone tundra TD02 240mm AIO CPU cooler, I read the reviews on it which were all positive and since I was going for a white and yellow/gold theme it fit perfectly.

Installation was fine and everything runs smoothly when on the desktop or doing general tasks.

The problem lies in gaming, which is what I put the machine together for.

The tundra is controlled by motherboard fan controls, I have the MSI z87 mpower board and it does choose fan speeds pretty optimally, but after gaming for a short while (and temps rising) the fans get to a certain RPM (around 1600-1800) that cause everything from my case to my entire desk to shake uncontrollably. and by uncontrollably I mean gaming becomes impossible because my mouse moves erratically by itself.

Below this "sweet spot" is absolutely fine, even above it to max (2400 RPM) is fine.

I tried anti vibration gaskets between the rad and case (didn't have enough for fan to rad) but it didn't have any noticeable effect.

My questions are many:

Is this normal or have I got a malfunctioning unit?

What are my options?

Should I just be setting the fan speed to max before gaming and deal with the excessive sound of the unit at full speed?

Will full anti-vibration fan pads on both the rad mount and fan mounts make a difference?

Are there any other ways I can control the vibration?

Case: NZXT H440 (at first I thought the limited exhaust ventilation was to blame, rad is mounted up top, but I took the top off completely and vibration continued.)

GPU: Palit Jetstream 780ti (I ramped this up to 100% manually to make sure it wasn't the problem and it isn't)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the supplied MSI command centre program only allows me to manually set fan speeds to 25, 50, 75 and 100% and the 75% appears bugged because it just ramps up to full.

Speed fan mustn't support my mobo which has 2 CPU fan inputs and will not let me control the CPU2 fan which the fans are plugged into (pump plugged into 1).

Are there alternative programs I can look at?

Edited by Whatislove

If you wanted to keep the TD02 you have a couple of options;

1. Replace the stock fans with another brand - something along the lines of the gentle typhoons or similar

2. Buy a dedicated fan controller that allows more adjustment to the fan speeds

For the most part, "pro" or paid for reviews of the unit have been favorable, but I've read plenty of negative feedback on that AIO from real users.  And, if it were me I'd try to unload it while you can and then find a more reliable long term solution.

Yeah, I've heard that the only reason is performs so well is because of the rad design but the rad design needs so much static pressure it's almost not an option to switch to quieter fans.

The stock ones that come with it have a max static pressure of 3.5mm/H20.

Noise never bothered me regardless, it's this crazy vibration that's getting to me.

I was considering a fan controller and that might be the direction ill go in if the retailer doesn't accept an exchange of the unit.

(on an unrelated note, The performance is something I can't complain about, 1.115v core on a 4770k @ 4.2ghz barely goes a few degrees over ambient and I haven't seen it break 60 under load yet.)

Good luck with the exchange.  It really shouldn't be vibrating to the point that it is annoying.  Are you sure it's the fans and not the pump?

99% sure.

The pump doesn't appear to have variable speed, it's plugged into the CPU fan header and gives me an option for control but the RPM stays steady at just over 2600 no matter what % i set it to.

Plus, I can cycle up the fan speeds (which is on a different header) and make my way towards the vibration death zone (only difference being here is that manual control only lets me do 25% increments and I am under the bad spot at 50%, 75 is bugged and way over it at 100%, but if i go from 25-100 I can feel when it hits the bad spot, it just so happen that auto control seems to think this exact bad vibration spot is the perfect RPM it wants to use to keep temps down).

Your luck sounds a lot like mine  :)

If I were you I'd exchange it as a matter of principle.  However, it that's not an option you're left with changing the stock fans or putting them on a variable speed fan controller.

Good luck.

It does sound like faulty fans to me, did you try just using one fan at a time at different rpm's to see if maybe just one is vibrating ? Even if you do use a fan controller to fix the problem ,the fans are still faulty and will give you problems later on, so I would either rma them or get better fans.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

It does sound like faulty fans to me, did you try just using one fan at a time at different rpm's to see if maybe just one is vibrating ? Even if you do use a fan controller to fix the problem ,the fans are still faulty and will give you problems later on, so I would either rma them or get better fans.

I'm not entirely sure the fans are faulty.

It only happens when both fans are on and at the same RPM.

For some reason I think it has to do with this weird rad design and the fans just getting to a "sweet spot" causing some kind of resonant frequency effect.

If I take 1 off entirely the noise goes away, but when both are on and spinning at that "sweet spot" the vibration is just out of control.

I'm still waiting on word from the retailer about returning/exchanging but its easter so I don't expect that until tuesday. I'm thinking if changing it is a no go I will buy some Noctua fans to replace these and see how I go.

Again, unrelated, but just to let my luck be known. In addition to this issue, the mouse I bought (Madcatz RAT MMO 7) has a faulty scroll wheel and the Sibera V2 headset I got has a faulty microphone.

One of the feet of my case (NZXT H440) was also missing the rubber base so the case wasn't even/straight when up right until I put something under the foot to fix the gap, luckily the good people at NZXT are sending me a whole replacement foot for free.