Best fully modular 700-750 watts PSU

Normally i stick to OCN but i thought some of you here might find this interesting

http://www.overclock.net/t/1482157/best-fully-modular-700-750-watts-psu#post_22109815

Other work
http://www.overclock.net/t/1431929/psu-index-thread

I get asked very often what is the best fully modular 700-750 watts PSU? so instead of answering that every time i am going to make another info thread well sort of.

First off before i begin no i have not reviewed any of these units nor do i claim any credit for it, Its all done by Techpowerup so all credit goes to them. Since Techpowerup does not have reviews for every single 700-750 watts PSU i can only pick the ones they have reviewed which means the Cooler Master V700 is not in thread however sad that might be.

Now the overall winners here is the EVGA SuperNova G2 and the Super Flower Leadex they have the best ripple suppression of them all, And they the second best voltage regulation after the AXi, And they are cheaper then all the others besides the SilverStone and the NZXT. And both G2 and Leadex its pretty much the same price as the Corsair RM. So the winner of best value also goes to the G2 and Leadex

Corsair AXi is second best here its voltage regulation is better then the Leadex/G2 yes but its ripple is nowhere as good and the price its sold at is far too high

Corsair AX760 and the Seasonic X are in the middle here but again the Leadex/G2 are almost always priced cheaper so not really worth it unless they are on sale

The worst of them all is the is NZXT HALE 82 V2 its has the oldest and cheapest platform used the worst ripple and the second worst voltage regulation, Dont buy this one its crap

Second worst is the EVGA SuperNova NEX750G it has the second worst/cheapest platform used worst voltage regulation but ripple is not actually that bad. Dont buy this one either its mediocre and way overpriced as well

Third worst is the the SilverStone Strider Gold S it has third worst ripple but its voltage regulation is only fourth worst. Again not really worth buying its very small size might make up for it somewhat but still not great

Fourth worst is the Corsair RM ripple is the fifth worst just ahead of the Seasonic X but voltage regulation is third worst. Again not the best thing you can buy compared to the 4 best and its priced far too high compared to what you get

Edited by shilka

I'd like to give Shilka some props here.  I've followed his research & recommendations over at OCN for a long time now.  Next to Paul (who actually has the equipment to do his own reviews and provide feedback) I'd consider Shilka a knowledgeable resource when it comes to power supplies.

Glad to see you stop by Shilka.  On another note, we are a much friendlier (and dare I say less adversarial) community here at OCC than many of those found over at the "other" forum.  So please keep that in mind and temper your written words with consideration and thoughtfulness.

I'd like to give Shilka some props here.  I've followed his research & recommendations over at OCN for a long time now.  Next to Paul (who actually has the equipment to do his own reviews and provide feedback) I'd consider Shilka a knowledgeable resource when it comes to power supplies.

Glad to see you stop by Shilka.  On another note, we are a much friendlier (and dare I say less adversarial) community here at OCC than many of those found over at the "other" forum.  So please keep that in mind and temper your written words with consideration and thoughtfulness.

Thanks if this forum is not dead and less adversarial i might just stick around

Edited by shilka

I like how Corsiar AX gets rated higher when its made by seasonic. I honestly only trust one review site for power supplies and that's Johnny Guru. The main guy who does that really knows what hes talking about.

Edit: Just because it can hit it's rating and little higher doesn't mean it has high build quality. You run half these power supplies 24/7 and they will crap out after a year. I'm not saying those PSU on that list is bad, but thats how they get you. Selling 1000watt power supplies that can't pull it's own weight. If your not paying 15-20 cents a watt, either its a really good deal or a crap power supply.

I like how Corsiar AX gets rated higher when its made by seasonic. I honestly only trust one review site for power supplies and that's Johnny Guru. The main guy who does that really knows what hes talking about.

Edit: Just because it can hit it's rating and little higher doesn't mean it has high build quality. You run half these power supplies 24/7 and they will crap out after a year. I'm not saying those PSU on that list is bad, but thats how they get you. Selling 1000watt power supplies that can't pull it's own weight. If your not paying 15-20 cents a watt, either its a really good deal or a crap power supply.

Johnny Guru dont work at JohnnyGuru.com anymore he works for Corsair now. Oklahoma Wolf is the one doing the reviews for JohnnyGuru.com now.

And i think you should check the link and view the OCN version which is better, And yes there is some not so good stuff on that list but there is not any kind of outright junk that cant do its rated wattage

While i might not be JohnnyGuru or Oklahoma Wolf i know quite alot as well so just becasue you dont know me on this site does not mean i dont know what i am talking about

Corsair and Seasonic are not the only two PSU brands in the world there are tons of stuff out there that are just as good or even some that is better, There are far too much out there that is far too underrated.

Just because you have not heard of something does not make it junk

Edited by shilka

Well in fairness Corsair is not a PSU "brand" but rather a repackager.

Shika, I think an awesome article would be to look at the actual PSU makers and talk about them and then provide a list of who is repackaging which actual brands.

Well in fairness Corsair is not a PSU "brand" but rather a repackager.

Shika, I think an awesome article would be to look at the actual PSU makers and talk about them and then provide a list of who is repackaging which actual brands.

Its a brand as in they sell PSU

Edited by shilka

Shilka knows his stuff.  Check out some of his threads on OCN.  I always learn a ton from PSU posts by him and Twocables.  Very well educated in the PSU world.  Thanks for stopping by Shilka.  

I used this reference guide for much of 2013.  It's dated now and needs to be updated for 2014, but it does give you an idea on older models and is also an eye opener.

Who's Who In Power Supplies

Outdated how so please explain? i dont mind updating things or making them better, But its not like i have not bothered doing anything

I never used the word "outdated".  I specifically used the word "dated" and I chose that word because the article was originally published in January, 2013.

So there have been all kinds of power supplies released since the time that article was originally written.