• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jklein

Jklein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

Ok I have been a windows user most of my computing life before that I had an IBM ps2 50/60 with DOS 5.0 (Did I just date myself.) Anyway I'm looking at Linux to broaden horizons. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the tutorials I have watched so far the primary difference between desktop and server versions of Ubuntu Linux is that desktop has a GUI and server has LUI like in DOS?

So can I run anything you would in desktop on server Linux?

If so I'm guessing we would access it like we did in DOS? The good old fashioned C:/Startrek/Startrek.exe and hit return?

Edited by Jklein, 19 February 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#2 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7887 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

From what I believe Ubuntu editions are all the same, minus what default packages it installs. So Ubuntu Server is more focused on server stuff. It'll come without a GUI (you can install one), then it'll give you the option of installing stuff like Apache, MySQL and what not during the install.

Edited by AZNguyen, 19 February 2014 - 07:59 AM.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#3 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

If so I'm guessing we would access it like we did in DOS? The good old fashioned C:/Startrek/Startrek.exe and hit return?

Yes, but Linux console commands are entirely different than DOS.

It will take some getting used to, you will get frustrated and you will curse Linus Torvalds to hell and back.

I grew up with DOS myself and I STILL type them into Linux on occasion, it is hard to break old habits.

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#4 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20261 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Yes, but Linux console commands are entirely different than DOS.

It will take some getting used to, you will get frustrated and you will curse Linus Torvalds to hell and back.

I grew up with DOS myself and I STILL type them into Linux on occasion, it is hard to break old habits.

Yep, no more backslashes!

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#5 Jklein

Jklein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Nice best way to keep people off your build is to use an OS they don't know how to use lol

#6 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• 18032 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

no... that would be a password to log on ;)

Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#7 Jklein

Jklein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

True but if an entirely different is that one is totally unfamiliar with helps lol.

#8 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20261 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

True but if an entirely different is that one is totally unfamiliar with helps lol.

Unless it keeps you off lol

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#9 Jklein

Jklein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Well true that's why I learn first Ivy.

#10 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

Servers generally have X installed too (even if it's not running most of the time).

Also, anyone savvy can break into your machine in seconds regardless of the OS.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#11 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20261 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

Also, anyone savvy can break into your machine in seconds regardless of the OS.

+1, I was on a school Mac at my old community college and came across a page of how to crack the admin code and did it lol

Not to mention if it's a good started distro, then it'd likely be easy for them to pick up too. They just won't be as familiar with what mischievous software they can run.

I don't see the point in Linux unless you don't already own Windows though, it may be less resource intensive but I imagine windows is more optimized for most hardware out there. (not to mention, more compatible)

I see the necessity of using a live Linux to fix a computer (or work on one that isn't windows based) but beyond that I don't see the big deal with it. PLENTY of sweet freeware exists on both (usually the same or better stuff on windows)

Disregard all of the above if it's simple boredom/curiousity, I just can't see why anyone'd choose Linux as their primary OS.

Edited by IVIYTH0S, 20 February 2014 - 05:28 AM.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#12 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15204 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Linux is compatible with faaaaar more than Windows. If I didn't game I'd be 100% Linux on my desktop.

Posted Image

Booyah.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: operating system, New Build