How to Overclock an Intel 4770K Guide

Bosco

Hello and thank you for the guide.

Been a long time visitor of OCC and only just now registered to the forums.

A question please to the author of the guide:

On page 3, 'Final BIOS Settings 4.4GHz' section - you specified  'CPU Ring Voltage 1.75v'.

Did you actually mean CPU Ring Voltage 1.075v ?

Regards,

//subscribed to thread.

Edited by AlderaaN101

Hello and welcome to OCC!

To answer the question, it looks like a small typo and thank you for pointing it out. It should read 1.176 instead of 1.76 as the maximum voltage recommend is 1.2v for long term use.

• 1 month later...

I think there is another typo is on the third page "System Agent Voltage":

You go from ~1.064 V + 0.025 to 1.088, but you wrote System Agent Voltage: 1.088v / (+ .250).

Thanks for pointing that out and you are on the right track, but a little wrong. It may be a bit confusing so I'll clear it up.

By default, the voltage is 1.088 on the MSI Z87-GD65 and I was able to get it stable with an extra 0.250v. This is not necessary for anyone with lower speed memory as I explained in the guide. As you bump up the CPU frequency the system agent voltage comes into play only when using high speed memory. This isn't 100% true, but instead of making it more confusing than necessary, it's a safe bet that if you are using memory below 1866, you will not need to raise it. That is the reason why I left it as 1.088v and added the (+.250) saying you can raise the voltage that much more if needed. I needed the extra 0.250 because of 2400 memory and reaching my CPU limits of 4.5ghz~. Since than I have been able to post at 4.6hz but not long enough to be stable.

As for the 1.064v , I think you are looking at the CPU Ring Voltage which is right next to System Agent Voltage. They are two separate things.

Well, my bad then.

I was just a little confused as 0.250V seemed like a lot. It was even marked in my BIOS in yellow, because it was so high. And 1.064 + 0,025 = 1,088 (with some rounding errors or whatever) seemed likely to me.

Should've read it more careful, considering I don't want my CPU to go downhill :D

it shows up red on mine . The highest I can go without being alerted is .195 . I think as long as you stay below the considered "safe" limits on page 1 the CPU will be fine. At some point the CPU will lose some overclocking abilities but that's the nature of game. Anything over stock isn't advisable but that's just the intel covering its butt.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the slow reply,

Well right off the bat I could think of a few reasons why it does not work. A) not all chips are built the same, some can't even hit 4.2ghz without 1.2v. If you haven't already I would start with stock and slowly raise things until you hit a wall, add some vcore and and try again. most likely to hit 4.2 you will only need to raise the vcore to hit it. past that it's really chip by chip  and the guide is only helpful to get you an idea of what is possible.

I would say if the settings for you work at 4.3ghz than that might be the limit before you have to fine-tune things for your specific cpu. I would try to raise the V-Ring up to 41-42 (multi) and see if that works. If I recall, that was my biggest problem keeping the away from BSOD issues.

Looking at your picture I do have a few questions and recommendations.

Recommendations:

1) lower the system agent unless you are running high speed memory.

2) To answer the vcore question from what i've read, the vcore can raise itself when using programs like Prime95, so when it reads 1.224 it's right. It also could be the motherboards off-set causing the issue, it's really hard to say but if other programs on load only raise the vcore 1.2 than it's probably just prime95 being a problem.

3) like explained above, raise the v-ring and see if that helps. while it can be synchronous or asynchronous, it's better to be closer to the cpu frequency.  some Haswells have a hard time with a large difference, around 4.4ghz is when I had to raise mine without BSOD issues.  

Questions:

1) what is cooler are you using? 90c isn't uncommon for 1.2v , but it also depends on the type of cpu cooler, using the best coolers, you might be more in the 80c~ range. It all depends on your setup and factors like case , airflow, house temps, anything really but 90c on a torture test isn't considered bad, they run hot and even hotter when overclocked.

2) what type of memory are you using. it's saying 1333 in the image. you may need to enable the XMP profile and lower the system agent. but that is just a guess.

3) have you tried starting at stock and working up, or did you just apply the settings in the guide?