• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Renigade

Renigade

Seminole

• Folding Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hey guys I have been stalking these forums for a while, love and trust the reviews here at OCC. I don't get the time to research new stuff but have always appreciated and respected the advice I get here at OCC so I am reaching out again to get some advice for a long over due, and greatly needed up upgrade for my aging dinosaur of a PC.

My Current Rig is a AMD Phenom II X4 940, Thermaltake Frio in a Gigabyte 790X DS4 with 8 Gigs of DDR2, and Corsair TX 750 w PSU. and 2X 5830 all in a Antec 900 wrapper that is now almost 6 years old. And my motherboard is 5 years old So I am a bit over due for some upgrades. My last upgrade was the PSU and Vid Cards. 2+ years ago

My Intended upgrade

MB Crosshair V Formula-Z and 2 x 8 GB Sticks of DDR3_the MB manual says:  AMD AM3+ FX™/Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors So apparently my CPU will work in this board.

My current CPU X4 940 and PSU TX 750w  should work with this board ( Crosshair V Formula-Z) until I get a new CPU right?

Any thought and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Regards: Renigade

Background info

I can't afford to get a new CPU at the same time because I am giving my sweetheart the wedding she deserves on March 1st 2014. II really didn't want to spend any money until after my wedding but she insisted upgrade my PC at least a little, so I will only be able to upgrade in stages.

Stage 1  Mobo ,Memory   ---> Cyber Monday?

Stage 2  CPU, CPU Cooler, CASE  ---> Christmas 2013

Stage 3  Video Card, PSU and SSD ---> April 2014

#2 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11444 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

What are you looking for in an upgrade?  Just building a good base for the rest of the intended upgrades? 

Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#3 Renigade

Renigade

Seminole

• Folding Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

Yeah pretty much because its going to be spread out over 6 months I figure prices and options will change a bit... as far as CPU I want to get an 8 core a stand alone water cooler for CPU and either a CM or Corsair case. ETC ETC

#4 Renigade

Renigade

Seminole

• Folding Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

In buying my memory, how much of a difference is there between DDR3 2400 and DDR3 1066 and where would the differences be noticed if any?

I plan on getting AMD FX-9590 in December.

#5 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15335 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

X4 940s are AM2+ only! You cannot use them in AM3 DDR3 boards.

sig.png

Booyah.

#6 Jklein

Jklein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

X4 940s are AM2+ only! You cannot use them in AM3 DDR3 boards.

Lab Rat is right you have the older version of phenom using the +2 socket my advice would be for the moment to do the power supply and maybe the video card or case because your memory and cpu cant be done without the motherboard and that cant be done without getting a new cpu.