7 replies to this topic

#1 Viexi

Viexi

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hey guys :) I've just recently gotten into using Blender and I love it. It's a fantastic bit of kit and great fun to mess around with. Do we have any experts in-house on Blender specifically?

I also understand there's 3DS Max and... Mara I think it is? I think these are the three names I've seen used the most. I've only ever used Blender though.

Basically I'm looking for some beginner tips. I've started making a logo as a bit of practice. It might turn out to be the final product yet, I don't know. It'll be used for my Youtube videos, but there's only one problem. I'm using an ATI GPU... So I have no GPU support at all. Ouch.

So yeah any tips or tricks? Any projects that I might find fun to do? :P

"I think we can put our differences behind us. For Science. You monster."

Posted Image

#2 Locutus

Locutus

Fortune favors the bold.

• Folding Member
  • 1881 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I believe you meant Maya. I tried getting into 3ds max when I had a free copy (they give them out sometimes to people with .edu emails) and I really couldn't get into it.

Heatware - Ebay

"I can't believe I ate the entire kitten!"

sigimage.gif

#3 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I use Maya. Blender is neat, but the controls are too different from Maya so I couldn't get into it. Blender is really good for character modeling though.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#4 Viexi

Viexi

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've just finished my test animation. What do you guys think?

Quality is very low and there are still some elements that need to be tweaked (i.e. the DOF), but for my first Blender job I think it's pretty good :)

Edited by Viexi, 25 September 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Posted Image

#5 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

• Review Editor
  • 19378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

:media:

Quality is very low and there are still some elements that need to be tweaked (i.e. the DOF), but for my first Blender job I think it's pretty good :)

No offense, but don't really get the point of using Blender for something like that. There's nothing in there that gave the impression of 3D - the only inkling is around the 6sec mark when the teapot turns slightly, but that was completely pointless and just seemed like you threw that in there for the sole purpose of showing that it was indeed 3D. The letters (atDVXC), for example, don't seem to have any depth to them.

My point is, based on what you've shown, it seems like something you could have easily just done in After Effects with 2D art.

CMt.png
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

#6 WarWeeny

WarWeeny

Don't worry, be sexy! >:3

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

at first i thought he meant...you know....BLENDER, vroom vroom blend me some fruit and vegies

im like...eh? xD

You can get the weeny out of the war, but you cannot get the war out of the weeny

Rest in peace my good old gtx 480, you deserved it

Thinks he has a weeny worthy of war.

#7 Viexi

Viexi

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

:media:

No offense, but don't really get the point of using Blender for something like that. There's nothing in there that gave the impression of 3D - the only inkling is around the 6sec mark when the teapot turns slightly, but that was completely pointless and just seemed like you threw that in there for the sole purpose of showing that it was indeed 3D. The letters (atDVXC), for example, don't seem to have any depth to them.

My point is, based on what you've shown, it seems like something you could have easily just done in After Effects with 2D art.

Criticism is always welcome Clay :)

I used it because I don't have After Effects. Blender on the other hand is completely free, and I mainly used it for the shading and lighting effects. They don't show up too well at the moment because of the low quality render. There's also volumetric lighting lightly applied to the background as well but again, the artifacting is too great for it to really show at all.

Besides, I've always wanted to give Blender a try and it's just been fun :P

Posted Image

#8 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

• Review Editor
  • 19378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Haha, alright, that's understandable. Have to start somewhere.

Definitely post up the high quality render when you get that done :)

CMt.png