45 replies to this topic

#1 WARDOZERX

WARDOZERX

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Can anyone recommend a good android based phone with a good rom that will essentially turn it into a dedicated media player with Wifi?

I've found that phones with all of their software support may be better suited due to media support, equalizers and such over actual media players so I'm looking to get a working phone with a bad ESN for cheap ish, flash it with a rom custom tuned for media and just use it as a music/video player.

If anyone can recommend a good phone with a rom designed to turn it into a dedicated media player I'd be very grateful.

Play Gang Garrison 2 http://ganggarrison.com/ The most fun you will ever have with 8-bit entertainment :D

For the love of teh PC gawds, it's MYTH0S with an M not Ivythos with an :rtfm: . MYTH! IT'S IVIYTH0S. NOT IVYTHOS. And you call yourselves enthusists. Pfft   :wallbash:

#2 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I've been looking at the Huawei Ascend, it's a low end smartphone with a 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM and a 3.5" screen and runs Firefox OS by default. I believe it can be flashed with Android and for £59.99/$79.99, you can't really go wrong :)

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Samsung 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#3 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20339 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Samsung Epic 4G, get the game gripper and it will be your new portable gaming and media machine.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#4 RedFury77

RedFury77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I use my tablet, an Onda V711.  The new version (v711s) has a quad-core cpu, a gpu, plus a gb of ddr3:

http://www.onda-sale...a-thin-8gb.html

It runs netflix, and youtube and all that, no amazon prime movies though.  It's also a great e-reader.  

i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz P8Z77-V LK l 8gb DDR3-1600 

Asus GTX 780 DCUll  Vertex 3 120gb SSD l 2tb WD black HDD + 1tb Barracuda

Corsair TX750 Cougar Evolution 

#5 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5262 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Been there and done this with the LG Optimis 2X

http://forums.overcl...howtopic=194168

The relitively good DAC/AMP, the direct HDMI out and the FM tuner make it good.

However quite a few new flagships have awesome features for media focused phones.

So I would say if you can find an Xperia ZL for the $4-500 mark go with that. I have had it the last year and I can stream spotify over HSDPA+, playing it at Max volume through the loudspeaker and at the end of an eight hour work day retain more than 50% battery. With data disabled and using the FM radio I can get 4 days of continuous play.

The stock media apps are increadably well put together. All i have found that needs to be added to the already included, Album, Movies Walkman, FM Radio and Track ID apps is Spotify.

If you have a Sony TV you can mirror the content of your phone to it with ease with a MHL adaptor you can plug in a HDMI cable. Also USB DACs work with it if you are so inclined. I am still running stock on mine with only a custom stock based launcher that allows me to hide apps, customize grids and the amount of pages/dock bars I have on the home screen.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#6 WARDOZERX

WARDOZERX

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

If the O2x's weren't in the $100 range that wouldn't be bad but I was eyeballing something along the lines of $50 ish used like the HTC Evo 3D, Galaxy S2 ( found a few in the $40 - $60 range with bad ESN's ).

As the phone will only be used as a media player and maybe mobile gaming device I don't care if it can ever be used as an actual cell phone and would just try to strip out the dialer and such anyways to reduce OS load.

I am certainly not spending $400 - $500 on an Xperia SP as nice of a phone as it is because all I really want is a cheap ish MP3 player that I can also play videos and possibly games on but mostly, it'll be used as a glorified MP3 player.

Play Gang Garrison 2 http://ganggarrison.com/ The most fun you will ever have with 8-bit entertainment :D

For the love of teh PC gawds, it's MYTH0S with an M not Ivythos with an :rtfm: . MYTH! IT'S IVIYTH0S. NOT IVYTHOS. And you call yourselves enthusists. Pfft   :wallbash:

#7 Wesstron

Wesstron

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ah man I just recycled an Xperia 10 a couple weeks ago. That would've done the trick.

#8 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20339 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

I still say the Epic 4G, overclocked to 1.2ghz-1.4ghz and it has PLENTY of life left in it. It'd be a FAR better gamer due to the keyboard and gamepad overlay.

Rooting is stupid simple now too, just rooted my girlfriend's since her evo shift cracked its screen.

It's very durable and the modded kernels have enhanced audio drivers and bass/volume/amp boosters built in.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#9 Neebitemnemo

Neebitemnemo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Bricked an HTC One S, was an excellent MP3 player. Still deciding on whether Xperia Z Ultra or Note 3 for a new one. Not aware of such a rom, unfortunately.

Mega-noob!

#10 Wesstron

Wesstron

• Reviewer
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Bricked an HTC One S, was an excellent MP3 player. Still deciding on whether Xperia Z Ultra or Note 3 for a new one. Not aware of such a rom, unfortunately.

Wait for the Note 3... best phones money can buy IMO. Do you still have that bricked device? If you have no use for it I could use it as experimentation system lol

#11 Neebitemnemo

Neebitemnemo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Wait for the Note 3... best phones money can buy IMO. Do you still have that bricked device? If you have no use for it I could use it as experimentation system lol

Tried to RIFF box it, it's dead ok lol BTW if anyone is interested in RIFF JTAG box, willing to part with one for a below-Amazon price...

Edited by Neebitemnemo, 23 August 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Mega-noob!

#12 WARDOZERX

WARDOZERX

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Went with a Sony Ericson Xperia Play. On top of having many games optimized for it, it has actual stereo speakers that tbh, don't sound bad at all and have great volume without distortion.

Already rooted it, have the unlock code from sony for the bootloader and will be installing one of the modified 2.3.4 rom's on it tomorrow.

The biggest gripe I have with the phone is the wifi strength really sucks in comparison to my old Droid 3 so I can't stream Youtube and such while outside of the house like I could with my Droid 3.

The slide out keyboard and overall build quality of the phone are great imho and the screen, while having a lower resolution than my Droid 3 is a lot more attractive and has excellent viewing angles.

Oh, and I got it for $45 shipped in like new condition in a full retail box refurbished by Sony :D Woulda gotten the Optimus X2 but it woulda cost me 2x what the Xperia Play cost.

Once I start making better pay with the truck driving thing I'll likely invest the money in a real good android powered media device in the $300 - $500 range but for now I still have to watch my expenditures.

Edited by WARDOZERX, 09 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.