17 replies to this topic

#1 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I’m new to Win 7 and there is one thing about the start menu that frustrates me.  Is there a way to get the programs to fly-out as in this screen shot from my XP machine instead of having to use the scroll bar?

original.jpg

Also, I remember running across a thread with tons of neat shortcuts for Win 7, one used for bringing up the Task Manager with one click of the keyboard instead of several clicks like it takes me now.  I thought it was on this forum, but I can’t find it.  Where might I find such a list of shortcuts for Win 7?

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#2 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Press the start button on keyboard and start typing the program name, until it appears and press enter. Far easier and faster than the old method

For Task Manager:

use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

or type 'taskmgr' into the start menu search and press enter

Whichever is faster for ya!

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO | Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 8GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#3 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Start button then type program name works slick, didn’t know that one, but I like seeing the fly-out menu.  Sure would like to have that capability back.

After I posted I Googled Win 7 shortcuts, which I didn’t think of doing before I posted, and found all the shortcuts I was looking for.  Task Manager was one of the shortcuts I really wanted.

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#4 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • 19394 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I find it much faster to simply RIGHT-CLICK the taskbar and choose "Star Task Manager" from there. 2 Clicks and you're done :)

As for the "fly-out menu", no it's not possible...at least not without third-party hacks.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#5 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I find it much faster to simply RIGHT-CLICK the taskbar and choose "Star Task Manager" from there. 2 Clicks and you're done :)

As for the "fly-out menu", no it's not possible...at least not without third-party hacks.

+1, I was going to say there's probably a small hack you could acquire to fix the program list to a more classic style.

I'm still a keyboard shortcut lover but I didn't know about the Task Manger from Taskbar. Nice!

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO | Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 8GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#6 Smiki007

Smiki007

OC in Blood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

To open TM in W7 use the combination CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

My_Rig.jpgxNCqq1.gif

Always look beyond the limits...

#7 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I’ve got a good handle on the shortcuts I was looking for, but right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing from the popup menu is a good one.

As for the fly-out start menu, I found this.  http://www.startmenu7.com/index.html

Anyone ever used this?

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#8 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

Classic Shell is also be a good option to get the more traditional start menu back.

http://www.classicshell.net/

sigimage.gif?c1=FFFFFF&c2=000000&c3=0000

#9 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20680 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Classic Shell is also be a good option to get the more traditional start menu back.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I personally use classicshell for Win8 and it made life great again (aka Win7 style with Win8 speed)

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#10 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

That ClassicShell looks nice.  Looks like it would remove a lot of the frustrations of the Win 7 Windows Explorer.  Anyone have any negatives about it, and can it be uninstalled without messing up Win 7?

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#11 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20680 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I imagine just unintalling it would restore the normal shell but I'm very happy with it in Win8.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#12 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

I installed the Classic Shell.  Will take some getting used to.  Windows Explorer is nicer.  One thing I’d like to do that I can do in XP is make it so that when Windows Explorer opens, it opens to the C:/ drive expanded and all the other folders closed.  Is there a way to do that in Win 7?

Gary

Will Fly for Food