Back to Windows 7

IVIYTH0S

Ok, Idk if my SanDisk Extreme is dying or what but it froze up on me consistently for 3 straight startups. I was then able to restore it back to order with an old image, even though a couple read errors occurred during the reimage but it still ran Win7 again fine.

Prior to the reimage I figured I'd just try Win8 out and it refused to install on my drive...but after my reimage of Win7 and THEN wiping the drive from the Win8 install disc AGAIN it worked...

Only to find out there's no LAN drivers for my motherboard available...I'm on the computer now but only because I had a little backup usb wireless adapter I'm using to connect to my router.

Idk who I'm more mad at, Asus or Microsoft for not having some kind of generic driver to get me by.

So much for running Win8 while I have this platform anyway :glare: , see you all back on Win7

Working now after reboot...we'll see if it has another meltdown

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I have taken 2 of my friends PC's back to Win7 because Win8 was so erratic.

They installed upgrades

The retro included both desktops and laptops.

They are now happy people.

No more erratic behaviour.

They installed upgrades

Two machines, one gaming and one HTPC.  Both run Windows 8 without a single issue.  Sorry to hear others are having problems but IMO Windows 8 is just as stable as 7.

I had W8 Pro running on my primary rig until just recently went back to W7 Pro.  Eight was running fine other than a persistent memory leak caused by part, piece or app on the build.  Same apps and hardware ran without issue on Seven.

I just couldn't get used to the navigation on a rig that occasionally has to help me be productive too.  Other than that stability was fine.  All my apps worked.  No problem getting working drivers for my hardware.

I have an old laptop (HP Compaq) W8 has no sound drivers, HP says 'so sorry', see Microsoft. 

Not carrying over things that worked in XP>Vista>W7 is definitely lame.

Anyway, W8 is personally annoying, seems to run some stuff perfect, some stuff not.  Some software issues too.

Very frustrating with XP EOL and W8 a logical upgrade

Edited by ohldboy

I'll withhold my final decision once I get ALL my programs reinstalled but I am VERY happy now with all the speed (and the fact my SSD is actually aligned, might have something to do with things)

Found a good enough solution to the shutdown problem, and somethings are easier to get to (control panel for instance). I hope to learn new ways to do anything, I actually like a new challenge with things. Makes me want to go try a new ROM on my phone haha.

They installed upgrades

Two machines, one gaming and one HTPC.  Both run Windows 8 without a single issue.  Sorry to hear others are having problems but IMO Windows 8 is just as stable as 7.

+1. I installed Start8 and modern mix ($8USD) from stardock to make the user interface more win 7 like and make it have a less of a split personality. I like the speed and stability and disk management but could not stand the touch based inteface when I didnt have touch and all my software was designed for the desktop.

Plan to get a logitech T650 touchpad to give me the touch based gestures and then will see how I like Modern UI after that.

I got classic shell (free...because I'm not paying somebody to extort what should be there already) and all my problems with windows 8 are gone!! Search works normally and powering off is soooooo much easier again!!

I have win8 on my main gamming system and it has been working fine, no real issues (other then getting used to the interface), though I dont do mutch productivity tasks with that system, mainly just gamming and the occasional web surfing..

i7-3770k - @ 4.4ghz, Watercooled

z77-sabretooth

2x evga GTX670 4G FTW

16G Corsair 1600 vengance

420G intel SSD boot and a 480G OCX SSD for games

3x Asus 24" 144hz monitors

Seasonic SS-760XP2 PSU

It does ok.. :rolleyes:

for reasons i don't completely understand, i've felt strongly that there is much improved performance on this rig with the win8.1 pro preview with the updates and all, than i had with the win8 pro,..i have found a few glitches, mainly in the gaming department, and in the past i would have dug into microsponge's info, technet and so forth, and rooted out what the differences are, but i've been to lazy and uninspired this time around,...so i'm satisfied knowing that i can tell a difference...

maybe a shot at the upgrade will change things up for you IVI...

Well I'm loving Win 8 and am eager to eventually try 8.1 out but really all it took was that Classic Shell and I'm very happy. No incompatibilities that I wasn't able to take care of.

One HUGE problem I had to correct though was the main account not being full blown administrator and me having to enable the real on and use that now :glare:

The only thing they need to fix to make me really happy is the cludgy way the Star Screen uses desktop apps. If I start a desktop app from the start screen and exit the app then take me back to the start screen do not drop me on the desktop.