Who can solve this thing?

Hi there, i am an avid Battlefield 3 player and the last few weeks my system always crashed to desktop after exactly the same few seconds or minutes in the game. i was baffled by the problem, thought it was the grfx card(gtx 580), cleaned and reinstalled the drivers etc..had an overclock of several months of my i7 930 from 2.8 ghz to 3.8 ghz, so downclocked it to 3.33 and enabled hyperthreading back. reinstalled punkbuster....nothing helped! As a last resort i upped my ddr voltage from 1.54 V to 1.6v and BAM!!, problem solved!!! So my question is now, how come suddenly my ram needs extra voltage??? is it "worn" by the previous overclocks, or is it because it is summer & the temperatures are higher that i suddenly have the increase the voltage to get stability? why only in battlefield i had the problem and not in another game???? im so very curious about this anyone know???

i7 930 - 12 gb 1066 ddr - 160gb intel postville g2 ssd- 2xraptor 600gb 10 k raid 0 - gtx 580 - x-fi fatality 64mb pci - killer nic 2100 - w7 64 - x58 ud7 gigabyte - gt 450 for physx (96 stream proc.) thats the specs :)

If your running 3X4GB of 1066 ddr3,.. try 3X2GB configuration of ether 1066, 1333, or 1600. Your MC does not seem to work well with 4GB per dimm configuration. 

You will have a  more stable rig running memory at listed vCore that is on the modules label, and using the configurations listed in your motherboards QVL.

I did not see any 3X4GB configurations listed in GA-X58A-UD7 QVL for Rev. 1.0 or 2.0 version motherboard, not saying 4GB modules will not work, but I would go with 3X2 or 6X2 to avoid instability issues.

The air temp will have a small effect on stability, but if you have good air flow in your case you will be fine.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Braegnok

I commonly ran 3x4Gb configuration of memory up to DDR3 2133Mhz on the various X58 platforms I built for myself or others.  There are many factors that might come into play; memory degradation, IMC degradation, power supply degradation or some other unknown part of the equation that no one will ever know.

Did you recently change BIOS revisions, or make any other hardware changes that might have contributed?

I doubt that it is a heat issue though.  At higher vdimm your memory is actually producing a little more heat, not visa-versa.

The main thing is that you've got the rig stable again, so I would just soldier on and not worry about it.

Different memory kit needs different amount of power to run. As you have said increase in DRAM voltage have solved your problem, one question pops up in my mind. Have you changed (upgraded) your motherboard's BIOS recently? If yes, then it might be because of that. I not, don't worry. It might have been cased due to aging motherboard or RAM module(s).

I cheered too early, yesterday the problem happened again, suddenly a black screen, computer did not hang. maybe its the graphic card after all. my psu of 1200w should be enough for a single gtx 580? here we go again pfff....

I cheered too early, yesterday the problem happened again, suddenly a black screen, computer did not hang. maybe its the graphic card after all. my psu of 1200w should be enough for a single gtx 580? here we go again pfff....

Mention the graphics card driver version & also do a stress test on CPU to make sure that CPU is working properly and is not the cause of those problems.