• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go for something along the lines of:

AMD FX-6300 or Intel Core i5 3330

GA-970A-UD3 or GA-H61M-DS2

6GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD6450 or NVIDIA GT620

128GB SSD (if cost is an issue) or 256GB SSD

That should give you somewhere to start, you could probably go for a FX-4300 or i3, but in the interests of future reliability, I'd spend a bit more now and save a couple of years before you need to upgrade. I assume you won't be overclocking so H61M should be satisfactory for your needs, and 6GB of RAM should be enough for your requirements.

The list should give you somewhere to start, but you can tailor it better for your needs, I'm sure. :)

Euro

Don't see why not, providing it complies with the ATX specification, it suits the power requirements of the build, and it doesn't blow up too often, you're good to go imo :thumbsup:

Oh my.  The classic OCZ 520W Powerstream.  Possibly one of the top ten best power supplies ever designed or built.

This might be a tough decision since you aren't limiting yourself to AMD or Intel, nVidia or AMD.  There are pros and cons to each.  A lot is going to depend on your desired budget.

You can go with a six or eight core AMD rig, or comparably priced Intel quad core that clock for clock will outperform the AMD setup in many applications.  However, it's hard to beat the price to performance ratio of AMD offerings (even today).  Especially with the release of AMD processors like the FX-8120, FX-8150 and FX-8350 eight core processors.

I guess another important consideration is whether you plan overclocking or not? 

No overclocking.  No games.  Video editing will probably be my most processor hungry use.

Duel Core processors were state of the art when I built my rig.  I have no idea what would be a minimum for video editing.

My browser freezes every time I go to Newegg, so it

I agree with Waco.  I'd put the trusty 520 in the cabinet for a backup.  You can get a great new power supply for less than $100.

Intel offers much more than just dual core processors now.  They are clear up to six core processors like the i7 3930K on the low end and the i7 3970X on the high end.  But all of those are "high end" processors according to my pocket book.

Again, I'd point you back towards an Intel i5 or i7 quad core or one of the AMD eight cores.  Since you won't be overclocking you don't need to spring for an Intel "K" series processor and that would save you some money.  However, it sounds like you might benefit from hyperthreading, so that effectively eliminates an Intel i5 desktop choice.

To help narrow down your choices;

Intel Motherboard

Socket 1155

Intel Processors

Socket 1155

i5

i7

AMD Motherboard

Socket AM3+

AMD Processors

Socket AM3+

FX Series