119 replies to this topic

#1 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

It is been a long time since I’ve participated in computer forums or worked on a computer, and I’m rusty.  Below are my specs for my current computer that I built from scratch in the spring of 2006.  Pretty fast machine for the day, and it still runs fine.

DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D
BIOS 11/14/05
AMD x2 3800+
2gb OCZ Dual-Channel Platinum
OCZ Powerstream 520
WD Raptor 36gb 10,000 RMP
WD Caviar SE 250gb 16mb Cache
EVGA Geforce 7300GS 256mb
Antec Solution SL3000-B Case

I am starting to see the need to upgrade to a Win 7 machine.  I looked at Dell in lieu of upgrading, but the options leave a lot to be desired, tho for the price, I could use it while I rebuild.

It’s been so long since I’ve done anything with a computer that it will be almost like starting from scratch.  I am still running XP SP3.  I guess I’m wondering if there is anything besides my case that I can still use?  It would be nice if I could still use the Power unit, but I’m guessing that might have to go also.

I’ve done no research yet, tho I know I want to use an SSD drive for the OS and programs.  I’ll probably keep my existing data drives.  I guess the first two things I need to research would be a motherboard and processor.

I don’t keep music on my computer.  Probably the most memory taxing thing I will be doing is video editing.  I do a lot with Photoshop, but my current build handles Photoshop just fine.  I do not play games of any kind.  I’d like to keep costs reasonable, tho reasonable means different things to different people.  I don’t want to cheap out on anything.  I want components that will run for years.

Processor...  AMD or Intel?  Would a normal user even notice a difference?  I’ve been real happy with my current AMD processor.

Motherboard...  I know things have change a lot, but I do want a very reputable brand that will work for years. 

Any help in getting me started would be appreciated.

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#2 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'd go for something along the lines of:

AMD FX-6300 or Intel Core i5 3330

GA-970A-UD3 or GA-H61M-DS2

6GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD6450 or NVIDIA GT620

128GB SSD (if cost is an issue) or 256GB SSD

That should give you somewhere to start, you could probably go for a FX-4300 or i3, but in the interests of future reliability, I'd spend a bit more now and save a couple of years before you need to upgrade. I assume you won't be overclocking so H61M should be satisfactory for your needs, and 6GB of RAM should be enough for your requirements.

The list should give you somewhere to start, but you can tailor it better for your needs, I'm sure. :)

Euro

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Samsung 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#3 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15509 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

How much are you looking to spend? An AMD APU setup would probably be perfect.

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#4 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

i3 or i5 would work for a quite a while. Ram is so cheap now, so 6-12GB will be easy. 

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#5 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I really have no idea on how much I’m willing to spend till I start doing some research.  Yesterday every time I went to Newegg, my browser would freeze, so I couldn’t look at anything.

Is there any reason my 7 year old OCZ Powerstream 520 wouldn’t work with a modern build?  It seems to be humming along just fine.

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#6 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Don't see why not, providing it complies with the ATX specification, it suits the power requirements of the build, and it doesn't blow up too often, you're good to go imo :thumbsup:

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Samsung 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#7 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the Power info.  I’ll have to do some research on the ATX specification.  Been a few years, but I’m pretty sure it’s a 24 pin setup.

When I did this build back in 2006, the selection of motherboards was staggering.  It seems to be much less now.  I just took a quick peek at some Intel motherboards and the ASUS P8Z77-V LK ATX seems to be a good board.  Any opinions on this?

ASUS was my second choice of motherboards when I built this rig and it is a name I know, hence I may just look at ASUS boards.  I have not looked at AMD boards or anything else yet.

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#8 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• 16009 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh my.  The classic OCZ 520W Powerstream.  Possibly one of the top ten best power supplies ever designed or built.

This might be a tough decision since you aren't limiting yourself to AMD or Intel, nVidia or AMD.  There are pros and cons to each.  A lot is going to depend on your desired budget.

You can go with a six or eight core AMD rig, or comparably priced Intel quad core that clock for clock will outperform the AMD setup in many applications.  However, it's hard to beat the price to performance ratio of AMD offerings (even today).  Especially with the release of AMD processors like the FX-8120, FX-8150 and FX-8350 eight core processors.

I guess another important consideration is whether you plan overclocking or not? 

10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#9 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

No overclocking.  No games.  Video editing will probably be my most processor hungry use.

Duel Core processors were state of the art when I built my rig.  I have no idea what would be a minimum for video editing.

My browser freezes every time I go to Newegg, so it’s difficult to do much research right now.  I looked at the Intel page and the AMD page, and as when I built my rig a few years ago, terminology for a non geek is much easier to grasp on the AMD site.  Unless I misunderstood, Intel seems to only offer duel core processors while AMD offers up to 8.

While in the very early first stage of my research, I did look thru the list of processors on the AMD page and noted this one.  AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor.  Price is a lot cheaper than I paid for my current Duel Core processor back in 2006.

On the AMD site I see

AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition

AMD FX 6-Core Processor Black Edition

AMD FX 4-Core Processor Black Edition

AMD A-Series

AMD Phenom II

AMD Athlon II

AMD Sempron

The “Black Edition” seems to be their flagship processors, and the prices more than reasonable, but I didn’t really see anything that breaks down the different processors by name.  The most expensive AMD processor is very reasonable in price.

If I was to go with one of the Black Edition processors, is there anything special I should look for in a motherboard?

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#10 wingspar

wingspar

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1416 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Oh my.  The classic OCZ 520W Powerstream.  Possibly one of the top ten best power supplies ever designed or built.

How many years of use could I expect out of that power unit?  It’s been running every day I’m home since spring of 2006.

Gary

Will Fly for Food

#11 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15509 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

I wouldn't use it in a new build. 7 years is a good run. :lol:

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#12 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• 16009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

I agree with Waco.  I'd put the trusty 520 in the cabinet for a backup.  You can get a great new power supply for less than $100.

Intel offers much more than just dual core processors now.  They are clear up to six core processors like the i7 3930K on the low end and the i7 3970X on the high end.  But all of those are "high end" processors according to my pocket book.

Again, I'd point you back towards an Intel i5 or i7 quad core or one of the AMD eight cores.  Since you won't be overclocking you don't need to spring for an Intel "K" series processor and that would save you some money.  However, it sounds like you might benefit from hyperthreading, so that effectively eliminates an Intel i5 desktop choice.

To help narrow down your choices;

Intel Motherboard

Socket 1155

Intel Processors

Socket 1155

i5

i7

AMD Motherboard

Socket AM3+

AMD Processors

Socket AM3+

FX Series