Photo
- - - - -

Fastest way to wipe multiple hard drives.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dad_a_Monk

Dad_a_Monk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

I run a non-profit where we take in old systems and refurbish them for students of families that can't afford a computer. We have a donor who gave us a ton of systems all P4 or better but they can't release all the hard drives they have till they have all been securely wipes. Most all are from banks. I need a way to pipe them several at a time. They had an old server. An old dual processor PIII 800mhz that holds 6 drives. I was thinking of a way to turn it into a multi drive wiper. use maybe DSL, Damn Small Linux as the OS to run a multi drive secure wipe DOD protocol wiper. Am I going down the right track or it there an easier way?

Is there a better way to use this old server to wipe six at a time??

Edited by Dad_a_Monk, 03 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#2 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7891 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Darik's Boot And Nuke might be the simplest way to do it. You can install it to a CD/DVD or USB.

FAQ says its been tested with up to 100 SCSI disks at once. However recommends 4 disks at once for most desktop computers.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#3 NCC10281982B

NCC10281982B

Read the manual you say? GREAT! Which manual?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6585 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

What ^ said :) Keep in mind wipes with that program take a LONG time. I did a bunch of ~100 gig drives when working at zymogenitics a couple of summers ago.  The average wipe time was about 6 hours. Although we had to run DOD level wipes, which probably added extra time. I think I have pictures somewhere.

FYI, if you can commit multiple rigs to the project the Dban CD can be ejected one the options are selected. My partner and I ran as many simultaneous laptop wipes as we could fit on two 3 ft x 10 10 tables. We had to scrounge power bricks and power strips like crazy. :lol:

Once again the greed of the few out ways the good of the many...

Posted Image

#4 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

Darik's Boot And Nuke might be the simplest way to do it. You can install it to a CD/DVD or USB.

:withstupid:

DBAN is the best among alI those I have knowledge of.

boozei.gif

#5 Dad_a_Monk

Dad_a_Monk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yeah that's my biggest problem. This company has in their contract that all drives have to be a min of DOD wiped before they can leave their vault. That's the slow down. Was hoping someone had experience converting a server into a multi wiped so we could just slam them in 6 at a time. I'm still playing with it. I might have it figured out. Just need a faster way to DOD wipe, but I know I'm limited to the speed of the drive its self