Moving HDD to a new computer.

Locutus

Well since I'm finally going to have a desktop again I'll be moving my laptop HDD to the desktop, and I want to know if this is going to cause serious problems.

I know I'll have to go through and get rid of a few problems of course, but should I just reinstall Windows 7? If I do I'll have to re-download all my steam files along with League of Legends and all my programs etc.

Any advice?

You might need a bracket adapter for your laptop HDD unless your case can hold a 2.5" drive.

The only things I think will cause conflict is the drivers for the laptop hardware.... and the slow laptop HDD RPM.

Reinstalling is the best option to eliminate potential problems and if you only need to reinstall games and stuff then why not. Though you would need to back up your HDD and valuable stuff on it and reactivate your Windows 7 key by phone me thinks.

Getting an adapter should be pretty easy.  I'm considering getting my old 7200's back, though. 

Aye you just need a bracket(and make sure it uses the standard sata data and power cables/sockets). If you do decide on your old(how old) 7200RPM drive then all you need to do it clone the laptop HDD onto the old drive and keep the laptop one as a backup or use it in your laptop or whatever.

It will never be right unless you do a fresh install, if it even boots, I'm talking chipset drivers, graphics drivers, lan drivers, it'll be a mess. The laptop HDD is most likely a 5400rpm dog. If it is economically possible get a 3.5in desktop drive with 7200rpm minimum, you can always use the laptop drive for an extra storage disk then. There is a big performance difference between rpm's. A adapting bracket is neccessary for a secure mount. Good Luck!

Yeah I'm with RayMark on this one. It is highly unlikely the system would boot with that configuration. The issue is the low-level drivers for the OS to run on that system wouldn't be there (they would still be from the old system), so after the bootup screen, it would likely result in a BSOD. The only successful swap I have done is between two systems with identical motherboard and CPU. Still, after that there was a load of drivers that were messed up.

Have a look at this post, changing your motherboard, it may be applicable in your case and doable.

So a windows repair disc would do it? Seems pretty simple lol.

Then I'd just have to clean up some of the old stuff (I have RegistryBooster, etc) and it would work fine...

Ah come on Loc.  You're getting a decent rig that is trouble free.  Backup your stuff and do a fresh install on a decent 7200 RPM hard drive.  Nothing like a fresh installation of Windows.  Grab all the latest drivers for the Mobo from the Asus website.  Grab the driver for the 8800GTS from nVidia's website - and you'll be set to go.

Ah come on Loc.  You're getting a decent rig that is trouble free.  Backup your stuff and do a fresh install on a decent 7200 RPM hard drive.  Nothing like a fresh installation of Windows.  Grab all the latest drivers for the Mobo from the Asus website.  Grab the driver for the 8800GTS from nVidia's website - and you'll be set to go.

But I'm laaaaazyyyyy.  :lol: