3 replies to this topic

#1 czGLoRy

czGLoRy

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hello, I am wanting to use a UPS for my setup if possible, to prevent any "brownouts" from cutting off my system and allow me to use it normally. 

I have tried to purchase two in the past, and both failed to work.

It would be for a 30'' Samsung monitor, a router, internet modem, and a computer that would be using up to 850 watts, and probably an extension cable to hold all of this. Is this feasible? The only UPS choices I see here are from the company "APC" 

thanks

COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution Case
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200 320GB Hdd(storage)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
OCZ GameXStream 700w Power Supply
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Windows XP Pro

#2 ivangela

ivangela

Professional Student

• Folding Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

So the UPS isn't for the rig in your sig? Cuae that isn't using near 850 W ;)

APC seems to be the biggest manufacturer, but there are others like Cyberpower, Tripp Lite, and others. You should be able to run your PC for a while on the battery backup. Not sure how long but yor not talking hours...minutes to tens of minutes is my estimate.

HTPC......Phenom II X4 940 BE @ 3.38.....AC Freezer 64 Pro......ASUS M4A79 Deluxe......2x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066......ASUS EN9500GT......Corsair CX430 PSU......WD Caviar Black 640GB and 1 TB......LG SuperMulti Blu-ray......Silverstone Black HTPC case

New Rig....i7 3770K (stock for now)....CM Hyper 212 Evo....ASrock Z77 Extreme4....16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB....XFX Black Edition 7770....Mushkin 550W modular....Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD....2x640GB WD Black....CM Storm Scout 2

sigimage.gif

"wealth...that first and greatest of all the forces within the grasp of man" Dumas

#3 paulktreg

paulktreg

• Donated T5
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

A 500VA unit should be more than enough for the rig in your signature and APC are on the whole reliable well made units.

As ivangela as already pointed out you can't rely on a UPS to power your PC for long and certainly not for gaming during a prolonged power outage.They are designed to safety shut your PC down via a link and software or give you time to do it manually. A 500VA unit will typically only last for minutes at full load. If you have brownouts that last for seconds rather than hours then a UPS will certainly help.

i7 [email protected]/GA-X58A-UD3R/3x2GB Corsair/2 X 460 SLI/Seagate 1TB/Fractal Design Define R3 Case/Seasonic X-Series 760W/SAMSUNG 2032BW/ACER AL1916W/WIN 7 PRO

#4 Savan

Savan

I'm a thread killer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I have a 650w APC unit and it works well for brownouts. Not sure what problems you're having with the ones you've tried. But make sure if you get an APC to install the drivers and go into the APC control panel (mine is old so its probably called something new now) and adjust the power threshold settings to be as tight as you can if your main concern is brownouts.

(\__/) Doctor Steel
(='.'=) "and then when no one expects it ... BAM !! No more unicorns" - Nyt Ryda
(")_(") Not that I don't trust you, but to be honest I don't really trust you. - Locutus