hokkaido snow winter japan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grape

Grape

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi guys, firstly I want to thanks OverclockersClub because of friendly community that helped me since 2010 whenever I have troubles on new builds.

I am accepted into Pure Information Technology Engineering in Japan (AKA Computer Science). My school starts in April, located at north of Japan, Hokkaido with an average temperature of -5°C to -17°C all year round so I called the project Burning Snow.

I sold my 2 years old desktop with a high price because I overclocked for him… Well, rich kids… Now I have a budget of $2000, willingly to spend until $3000 is really needed.

Here is my list of choice and reasons. Hope you guys could give some advice as I would really appreciate them.

- Budget of $3000, under $2000 if possible.
- I don’t do gaming anymore.
- I do photography extensively. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom is a must.
- I do some homemade videos. Adobe After Effects and Premiere (I have Vegas, wanted to change)
- Since I am in the Pure IT Engineering course, I will be doing extensive programmings.
- Future: Python or MatLab Stimulation

DUAL SCREEN LARGE MONITORS (Adobe sRGB)
I used dual screens before I come to Japan but now using only one Samsung 27” monitor, I would like to buy a new monitor that supports Adobe sRGB.
#Reasons: Programming, need a large screen for viewing logic and such. Photography enthusiast, considering to buy a monitor that supports Adobe sRGB

CHEAP OR DECENT GRAPHIC CARD?
I wonder if acceleration with a decent graphic card really helps in photos and videos renderings. Would want to save some bucks as I don’t do gaming anymore.

HASWELL IN JUNE OR BUY NOW?
Well… How much I would want it to be released in April as my school starts from April. Well it was delayed until June. I think I can survive 3 months without a personal computer. Haswell is a “Tick” so I am looking forward to its overclocking performance. I would really want to wait until June but what about the motherboards or anything that supports new Haswell chips?

WINDOWS 8?
Well… I still have an extra copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional as my previous school bought 50 keys and I received two. (One student dropped off and the professor liked me.) I wonder a Windows 8 really rock so much?! I am leaning towards a full Linux environment though. I am new, help?

WATERCOOLING VS AIRCOOLING
Well… The ambient temperature is so low! I wonder if a Noctua D-14 could do all the work. I wish to overclock to a speed of at least 4.0 GHz for renderings. 24/7

LOTS OF MEMORY?
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought I needed a lot of memory cards for video renderings. However, my previous computer, triple-channel, 6*2GB, 12GB does not have any problem. In fact, I think it overkills as I really do not do video renderings SO much as I stated. Maybe a 30 minutes video every 2 or 3 weeks? I am not uploading them to Youtube and trying to get views. So I guess I could live happily with 8GB??

Edited by Grape, 08 March 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#2 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Congrats on the school. I might be going there as well. We will see how the application process goes  :)

Let me ask, are you in japan now? Can you make it down to Akihabara? The reason why is because your monitors are going to cost a lot, and if you can avoid shipping, it would be worth the trip. 

If we can also get stores from where you can shop right now, that would be great. 

#3 Grape

Grape

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

I am now in Tokyo. And yes, I can make it to Akihabara by bike.

However, Japan version of Newegg, Kakaku.com offers lowest price from thousands of sellers and most of them also offers free shipping.

#4 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am working on a couple things, but a couple things are certain. For starters, you want to go with socket 2011 and a i7 3930K http://kakaku.com/item/K0000312603/ Then get as much RAM as you can http://kakaku.com/it...19008/spec/#tab

I am still sort of fighting with the website you gave me since it isn't organized as well as newegg is, but from what I can tell this is the motherboard you want (price and feature wise) http://kakaku.com/item/K0000334553/

Everything else I am still kind of hunting for. 

#5 SpeedCrazy

SpeedCrazy

Life is one heck of a ride, so hang on tight!

• Folding Member
  • 3796 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

- I do photography extensively. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom is a must.

- I do some homemade videos. Adobe After Effects and Premiere (I have Vegas, wanted to change)

WINDOWS 8?
Well… I still have an extra copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional as my previous school bought 50 keys and I received two. (One student dropped off and the professor liked me.) I wonder a Windows 8 really rock so much?! I am leaning towards a full Linux environment though. I am new, help?

I would encourage you to try linux, but do be aware that adobe programs will not natively work with any linux distro.

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.

Fold for Team OCC
sigimage.gif?c1=FFFFFF&c2=000000&c3=0000
i7 930 @ 3.9 || Dual-SLI GTX 250 || ASUS P6X58D-E || 3x2GB G.Skill Pi @ 1600 || Corsair TX850w || 2x WD Caviar Black 500gb

“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?”

-Captain Jack Sparrow-