hokkaido snow winter japan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grape

Grape

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi guys, firstly I want to thanks OverclockersClub because of friendly community that helped me since 2010 whenever I have troubles on new builds.

I am accepted into Pure Information Technology Engineering in Japan (AKA Computer Science). My school starts in April, located at north of Japan, Hokkaido with an average temperature of -5°C to -17°C all year round so I called the project Burning Snow.

I sold my 2 years old desktop with a high price because I overclocked for him… Well, rich kids… Now I have a budget of $2000, willingly to spend until $3000 is really needed.

Here is my list of choice and reasons. Hope you guys could give some advice as I would really appreciate them.

- Budget of $3000, under $2000 if possible.
- I don’t do gaming anymore.
- I do photography extensively. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom is a must.
- I do some homemade videos. Adobe After Effects and Premiere (I have Vegas, wanted to change)
- Since I am in the Pure IT Engineering course, I will be doing extensive programmings.
- Future: Python or MatLab Stimulation

DUAL SCREEN LARGE MONITORS (Adobe sRGB)
I used dual screens before I come to Japan but now using only one Samsung 27” monitor, I would like to buy a new monitor that supports Adobe sRGB.
#Reasons: Programming, need a large screen for viewing logic and such. Photography enthusiast, considering to buy a monitor that supports Adobe sRGB

CHEAP OR DECENT GRAPHIC CARD?
I wonder if acceleration with a decent graphic card really helps in photos and videos renderings. Would want to save some bucks as I don’t do gaming anymore.

HASWELL IN JUNE OR BUY NOW?
Well… How much I would want it to be released in April as my school starts from April. Well it was delayed until June. I think I can survive 3 months without a personal computer. Haswell is a “Tick” so I am looking forward to its overclocking performance. I would really want to wait until June but what about the motherboards or anything that supports new Haswell chips?

WINDOWS 8?
Well… I still have an extra copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional as my previous school bought 50 keys and I received two. (One student dropped off and the professor liked me.) I wonder a Windows 8 really rock so much?! I am leaning towards a full Linux environment though. I am new, help?

WATERCOOLING VS AIRCOOLING
Well… The ambient temperature is so low! I wonder if a Noctua D-14 could do all the work. I wish to overclock to a speed of at least 4.0 GHz for renderings. 24/7

LOTS OF MEMORY?
Correct me if I am wrong. I thought I needed a lot of memory cards for video renderings. However, my previous computer, triple-channel, 6*2GB, 12GB does not have any problem. In fact, I think it overkills as I really do not do video renderings SO much as I stated. Maybe a 30 minutes video every 2 or 3 weeks? I am not uploading them to Youtube and trying to get views. So I guess I could live happily with 8GB??

Edited by Grape, 08 March 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#2 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Congrats on the school. I might be going there as well. We will see how the application process goes  :)

Let me ask, are you in japan now? Can you make it down to Akihabara? The reason why is because your monitors are going to cost a lot, and if you can avoid shipping, it would be worth the trip. 

If we can also get stores from where you can shop right now, that would be great. 

#3 Grape

Grape

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

I am now in Tokyo. And yes, I can make it to Akihabara by bike.

However, Japan version of Newegg, Kakaku.com offers lowest price from thousands of sellers and most of them also offers free shipping.

#4 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am working on a couple things, but a couple things are certain. For starters, you want to go with socket 2011 and a i7 3930K http://kakaku.com/item/K0000312603/ Then get as much RAM as you can http://kakaku.com/it...19008/spec/#tab

I am still sort of fighting with the website you gave me since it isn't organized as well as newegg is, but from what I can tell this is the motherboard you want (price and feature wise) http://kakaku.com/item/K0000334553/

Everything else I am still kind of hunting for. 

#5 SpeedCrazy

SpeedCrazy

Life is one heck of a ride, so hang on tight!

• Folding Member
  • 3816 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

- I do photography extensively. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom is a must.

- I do some homemade videos. Adobe After Effects and Premiere (I have Vegas, wanted to change)

WINDOWS 8?
Well… I still have an extra copy of genuine Windows 7 Professional as my previous school bought 50 keys and I received two. (One student dropped off and the professor liked me.) I wonder a Windows 8 really rock so much?! I am leaning towards a full Linux environment though. I am new, help?

I would encourage you to try linux, but do be aware that adobe programs will not natively work with any linux distro.

Fold for Team OCC

i7 930 @ 3.9 || Dual-SLI GTX 250 || ASUS P6X58D-E || 3x2GB G.Skill Pi @ 1600 || Corsair TX850w || 2x WD Caviar Black 500gb