#1 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20264 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sig Mosquito (.22LR)

Heard this is a very picky gun ammo-wise,more so with the first generation, which jams frequently with ammo that the gun doesn't like. They say the new ones, which are the second generation, are much better. I've also seen users saying that once it breaks in it's not as picky and won't jam with some/all of the cheaper brands. Another thing I saw in this gun's favor was that it's fairly easy to breakdown/clean.

Ruger 22/45 (..22LR)

While looking into the Sig I saw everyone recommending Rugers right and left, with the only drawback to them being that they're heavier than their competitors but they're very reliable and accurate.(the SP101 was also recommended)

Makarov (9x18mm)

I don't know why, but my friend told me about this and it just really intrigues me and it looks to have fairly cheap ammo like .22LR. I hear this is a great pistol (as long as it's not the china version) and the good thing is I'd never feel like I'd have to "upsize" in the future.

9x19mm pistols would be also a consideration since they seem to have inexpensive ammo too. (I'd rather not go broke at range, learning how to handle my weapon...so no .500 revolvers please!)

If there's any other guns worth recommending to a first timer, I'd be interested in hearing them. I'm not interested in the Browning Buck Mark(.22LR) or the Walther P22 (.22LR) since my friends have them and I'd want something different, even though they come very well recommended too.

I'll be going to get my papers for my permit next week!

Edited by IVIYTH0S, 03 February 2013 - 02:12 AM.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#2 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11294 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

You dead set on a 22?

Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#3 FUZi0N

FUZi0N

Nodrod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

So judging by your selection you're looking for a pistol? What is your budget?

Edited by FUZi0N, 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Josh

Corsair 500R

Asus Maximus Hero VI

i7 4770k w/ Corsair H100

G.skill Trident X 2x8gb

EVGA GTX670 SC

Corsair HX1050 PSU

Kingston SSD 120GB OS

Western Digital 1TB Storage

#4 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20264 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

You dead set on a 22?

Well for the sake of practice and money saving, it's preferred. If I got another in the future I'd likely get a larger caliber but for now this would be fine for my needs.

So judging by your selection you're looking for a pistol? What is your budget?

Yeah, I guess I never said that but yeah just a nice starter pistol. And I guess the cheaper the better (while not being a POS lol), I'm not up on what a "good deal" is on a pistol but figure the 22's aren't really expensive by gun standards, I think the Makarov isn't too expensive either but again I haven't actually gone to the gun store and browsed since I wanted to wait until I had my permit. The catch with Makarov is that I'd have to likely buy used since I don't think they make them anymore, in which case, I'm hoping the gun store is able to possibly deal with auction sites or private sellers

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#5 Gr4vitas

Gr4vitas

Eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

If your intent is to graduate to further guns down the line (larger calibers), I recommend something that would be considered a "trainer" gun.

By this I mean though its a smaller caliber and not necessarily something you would want to rely on for self defense (not that you couldn't, any gun is better than no gun), its very similar to a typical 9mm or .40 that you might find on the market today. Specifically what I'm talking about here are controls, weight, size and ergonomics. 

Something like the Sig Mosquito would be considered a good trainer pistol, its very similar in controls and feel to a typal 9mm like say a glock or even a Sig 9mm of some type. While a ruger mark lll would not be considered a trainer pistol.

Don't misunderstand me, just because a pistol isn't considered a "trainer" pistol does not make it bad. Arguably the best .22 pistol ever made the Ruger Mark X (1-3) is not a "trainer" pistol, I'm just simply talking about making a decision that is future minded.

Edited by Gr4vitas, 02 February 2013 - 10:37 PM.

i5 2500k @ 5.5ghz 1.5v 45°c || 6970 @ 1000/1500 || Corsair Vengence 8gb 1600 @ 1740
Haf x - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Swiftech Apogee HD - swiftech MCP655 - XSPC RS360
Video of the build

#6 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9861 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

If you buy online make sure you have gotten ffriendly with your local FFL agent so they don't over charge you for not buying from them

#7 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20264 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

If your intent is to graduate to further guns down the line (larger calibers), I recommend something that would be considered a "trainer" gun.

By this I mean though its a smaller caliber and not necessarily something you would want to rely on for self defense (not that you couldn't, any gun is better than no gun), its very similar to a typical 9mm or .40 that you might find on the market today. Specifically what I'm talking about here are controls, weight, size and ergonomics. 

Something like the Sig Mosquito would be considered a good trainer pistol, its very similar in controls and feel to a typal 9mm like say a glock or even a Sig 9mm of some type. While a ruger mark lll would not be considered a trainer pistol.

Don't misunderstand me, just because a pistol isn't considered a "trainer" pistol does not make it bad. Arguably the best .22 pistol ever made the Ruger Mark X (1-3) is not a "trainer" pistol, I'm just simply talking about making a decision that is future minded.

What makes a gun a trainer gun, I figured nearly any 22 could serve that function due to their inexpensive ammo and easier handling.

If I'm understanding you correctly though, you simply mean a gun that may be available in higher calibers and therefore I should become accustomed to that so I'd be able to move up with less trouble. (maybe something like a P226, which'd be a little larger than the mosquito?)

Are there actual pistols that are self proclaimed trainers or is it subjective person to person?

If you buy online make sure you have gotten ffriendly with your local FFL agent so they don't over charge you for not buying from them

I plan to, I hear of the premiums often involved when purchasing a gun in this manner. Though if the store doesn't have something harder to come by (like the Makarov for instance), wouldn't they be a little more understanding?? I just can't see that particular pistol being stocked in most gun stores haha

Edited by IVIYTH0S, 02 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#8 iluvstrats2

iluvstrats2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Try out an M&P for 9mm. The ergonomics are great and help reduce felt recoil. excellent first time shooter gun above .22lr. if you were get something in .40 s&w you may end up being a little intimidated with it. has a bit snappier shot than 9mm. Put a few rounds through one first before you buy one. As far as a .22lr pistol, check out a ruger sr22. Good safety features and doesn't jam much at all. Have a buddy with one and he has put every grade of ammo through it and it hasn't failed yet*knocks on wood*

Edited by iluvstrats2, 03 February 2013 - 12:16 AM.

Intel 3930k @4.5ghz
ASUS P9X79 pro
Thermaltake Lvl 10 GT case
8 gb 2133 intel extreme masters ram
2x Gtx 590 sli
AX1200
H100 w/TT fans
2x OCZ vertex 3 SSD
Seagate 1tb HDD for storage

#9 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9861 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yeah 9mm is a good starter for most as before all the new gun control bs started 9mm ammo was dirt cheap

#10 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20264 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Try out an M&P for 9mm. The ergonomics are great and help reduce felt recoil. excellent first time shooter gun above .22lr. if you were get something in .40 s&w you may end up being a little intimidated with it. has a bit snappier shot than 9mm. Put a few rounds through one first before you buy one. As far as a .22lr pistol, check out a ruger sr22. Good safety features and doesn't jam much at all. Have a buddy with one and he has put every grade of ammo through it and it hasn't failed yet*knocks on wood*

Hmm, both look very interesting. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into more them.

Do places let you test their guns out (for a fee of course)?? It's going to be hard to decide with all these highly recommended choices. At the very least I can try my friend's Glock 22 (.40), his Browning Buck Mark (.22) and my other friend will eventually get his Walther P22 (.22).

Yeah 9mm is a good starter for most as before all the new gun control bs started 9mm ammo was dirt cheap

It still is on the cheaper side though right?? I looked lightly online and found that to be the case, considering it's still a decent sized caliber.

Edited by IVIYTH0S, 03 February 2013 - 02:12 AM.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#11 Phil

Phil

im in ur fieldz, hooverin ur swardz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

By all means get a .22, it's a real gun in every sense.  The best reason is low ammo cost, around 1/10th. the cost of centerfire ammo.  Many .22 semi autos are picky about ammo and/or need to be broken in, just use the ammo it likes!  .22 is a very versitile caliber, every gun owner should have one.  (or three, or five. :) ) Have fun!

The real cow king.

Posted Image

Antec P182, Asus Commando Green MB, Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 Ghz, Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler, Corsair DDR2, nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC, 2 WD Raptors 160GB, CoolerMaster 750W PS

#12 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3913 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

M61

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690