Video processing build

DCIV

I am a noob here at overclockersclub but have been reading on your site for while, figured I would finally join and get real answers.  I do a fair amount of video editing, mostly slow motion from go pro stuff.  I need a faster build to help process everything.  Just day dreaming I was thinking dual CPU's, would that even be realistic?  I dont want to call this a budget build but I dont want to spend over 2k. 

Thank you!

I was just thinking I could use a little older tech and get more then what is out there but I dont even know if it would work like I would want it to.  I have a solid state I would run (love SSD's), no preferance on brand or anything. 

Cost :75

ASUS KCMA-D8 ATX Server Motherboard Dual Socket C32 AMD SR5670 DDR3 1333/1066/800

Cost: 290

Cost: 50

Cost for two: 214

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

Cost for two: 80

I have the SSD so total of 705.  What am I missing?  I figured if I built any comptuer I could get away with a little cheaper with one CPU and cheaper motherboard but a little more expensive and I get double the processing.  Or is this not going to work how I think it will for video editing?

Edited by DCIV

What apps are you using ? Avid , premier , etc ?

Also if your doing stop motion must of the hard work is already done and all the comp needs to so is blend the frames together. If you like h.264 gpgpu will really speed things up and you don't have to worry about the CPU at all.

Edited by hornybluecow

Whatever you end up with a highly suggest a ssd as a temp and or / Stratch disk . It will speed loading the editing your projects. I usually put the finished project on the temp drive and use adobe encoder . That alone can save hours depending on what it is. Also don't get a ssd with sandforce controller because it is extremely slow with incompressible data ( video and cache files).

I usually use Ulead for most.

Haven't heard if it but that doesn't mean much lol. I'm a adobe guy for the most part. The stop motion stuff I've done I just compile all the frames at 30fps and let the computer sort out the time per frame.

• Like 1

Good info, I ended up putting an SSD in any computer I use just for start up times.  I love it in my laptop and runs cooler too.  I even put one in an older mini mac that I use as a remote DVR haha.  The video files I use are big files, I just have 30 to do at one time when I do.  Is there any benfit in raid 0 for SSD?  I wouldnt think so but 10 years ago I never thought raid 0 would help 7200RPM drives....man did it ever.